• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Sale (Not Mine) Craigslist

jackhossross

Price: $14000

Description:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6770570312.html

1968 2002 for sale from a restorer in Oregon. I have been communicating with him for the past couple days.

He said he has an international customer who was going to have it shipped to him but it is proving too expensive.

The seller is the owner of a Porsche Restoration business - http://www.vsrestorations.com

I think it would be a pretty decent platform to turn into a restomod. Does anyone have any information on this car before I start getting serious about it?

00w0w_hoXvvdsO0a_1200x900.jpg

I can't offer you any present-day advice regarding the state, but I actually considered buying this car way back in the very early 1990's.  It was advertised in the weekly AutoTrader out of Portland, OR.  I remember meeting the owner (or maybe it was his father who actually owned the car because he was maybe 20 and talked quite a bit about his dad and his cars) on SE Foster Rd. off I-205.  Anyway, same silly wink mirror (unless you are well over 6', you sit so low in the seat making useless for seeing what is behind you), flared fenders, anthracite paint, black-out trim, Zender air dam, Scheel seats, Quaife LSD, rollbar, etc,

I came away thinking it was a shame to do that to an early '02, but I'm much more a fan of original cars (very hard to make out what you are looking at with the postage stamp size black and white pictures in AutoTrader back then so I made the 3 hour drive from where I'm at to check it out).  I think the wheels may have changed at some point, but other than that, it just looks like a rougher version of what it was in the early 90's.  The CL ad indicates the engine was redone in 1996 so that would have been after I drove it.  Even back then though it had a lumpy feel at idle and driving at slow speeds so definitely was not stock.  I remember the seller/son being more interested in his modified gangster-inspired Peugeot 505 based on the conversation, another reason I suspect he may have just been helping to sell the 2002.  The seller was very into playing up the brand names of all the mods and how expensive they were, another thing that's just not my style.

I knew within a couple minutes I wouldn't be buying, but I still drove it to have the experience of an extensively modified '02, which is one of the big reasons I love them today when they much closer to what they were from the factory, both cosmetically and mechanically.  It's just a different car completely than what BMW produced from the factory.  If you know that's what you are looking for, it could be a good match though.  The current seller seems to believe all the work was done around 1996.  I believe most of it was done a few years prior to that and perhaps just the engine needed to be rebuilt later and some additional engine mods were done at the time.  That's my foggy memory of it, but I suppose it's possible I'm off a few years and hopefully he has documentation--I don't remember seeing any the day I looked at it.  I have a better recollection of the seller and his personality than the exact year.  Oddly, I was just thinking about this car over the weekend as I was driving around Portland via I-205 on a quick trip though the area.  I'm surprised it survived all these years, but sitting for 20 years would help explain that.  I was only in my mid-20's myself back then, but it was too outrageous of a car for me even back then (instead I bought a stock E30 M3, much more subdued--ha!, that I had for a dozen years).  I couldn't tell you the asking price back then, but it was quite high for a 2002 back then, perhaps close to $10K.

Sorry for the lack of really useful information. I guess the only takeaways are that the car was in the Portland area in the early 1990's and that basically all the work was actually done way back then.

-Gary

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, AlfaBMWGuy said:

Sorry for the lack of really useful information. I guess the only takeaways are that the car was in the Portland area in the early 1990's and that basically all the work was actually done way back then.

-Gary

Truly appreciate the commentary - I guess I should define my goals.

I enjoy more of the "restomod" taking an old vehicle and adding in modern touches while maintaining as much of the aesthetics and design that keep a vehicle a classic.

I don't want to purchase a car that has the potential to be a classic restoration as I would be removing that vehicle from the market of people that desire that. My car won't ever have the resale value that some of these true classic restorations have.

My plans would be to get a vehicle that has engine work taken care of and in need of TLC. This vehicle needs paint and in my opinion needs new trim pieces. I would dynamat the entire interior and work to bring backthe seating in the back. I would install a new stereo, new center-dash and add Air-Conditioning. I like the idea of having a roll-cage, adds to overall safety and rigidity of the vehicle.

This car most likely needs more compliant suspension, new exhaust with a resonator to quiet it down, and lots of the creature comforts needed for my wife to "like the car."

I am new to the 2002 scene. First car was an MKIV 2.slow VW Golf, then WRX, STi, Golf R ... then I stumbled on an FJ62 which I have been bringing back to life. I have found this process to be the most fun work I've ever had on a car.

Thanks Gary, appreciate your comments.

I love the offhand comment as he flips the temp slider, "heater, not sure if that works".  I'd suspect not in that case beyond the slider--it moves so freely it might not even be connected to a bowden cable.  As it stands, in my opinion, your wife will not "like the car", unless she's logged a lot of track time.  Even if she's not behind the wheel, it will be an uncomfortable ride.  I'm not sure I'd even term this restomod.  The modifications are more vintage than modern so there are more compromises than there would be with a more modern engine transplant--it won't be like dropping in an M20 or even an S14.  A 100% stock 2002 will feel a lot more modern than this--that's one of the reasons it became a cult car--it was so far ahead of most everything else at the time.  I'm sure you could do some work to civilize this some, but you'd really have to want what is more of a track setup car than one for the street, at least at legal speeds.

I can't recall the setup of the roll cage in this car.  But, with most cars used on the street, meaning without a helmet on, it's actually much more dangerous to have a roll cage than not.  You can split your skull really quickly in just a minor fender bender.  I personally don't think this is a great candidate, considering the asking price as well, for what you are looking for to make something more civilized.  When you talk about wanting to add A/C for instance, that's where you get to a point where you are looking for a higher level of comfort than you can get from this before your into it for $40K also given the need to address paint and some level of rust.  If you can get to the car though relatively easily to assess it for yourself, I'd not discourage you from doing that.  I'd never consider buying without seeing it in person though.

-Gary

Here's the BringATrailer listing from 2-1/2 years ago:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-2002/

Definitely look through that in detail including all the comments.  Auctions back then didn't have as many comments, nor the level of documentation on the part of sellers as they do now.

1 hour ago, AlfaBMWGuy said:

Here's the BringATrailer listing from 2-1/2 years ago:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-2002/

Definitely look through that in detail including all the comments.  Auctions back then didn't have as many comments, nor the level of documentation on the part of sellers as they do now.

Appreciate the continued commentary - I would be dumbing down the vehicle to make it much more street worthy.

Great point about roll cage.

I am only beginning to become a serious buyer recently, hence joining the forum as opposed to lurking ... it is wonderful to get great feedback like this.

However - seller claims a deposit was made, so regardless I will not be involved with this one.

Spending more time figuring out the market seems like a good plan.  The more often traveled path is to take a 2002 that's much closer to original and then "restomod" what you want yourself.  Then you are the one selectively making it a less civilized street car and can make the compromises you want.  I think this path would end up being the more cost effective one as well.  If you are particularly enamored with flares for instance and want to start with one where that's done, this is one that looks like a more solid car to me:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/222072-1974-pig-cheek-2002/

I'm not certain if it's actually still available and it's now in Hawaii so that complicates the logistics.

-Gary

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jackhossross said:

Video clip of the car starting and running .. thoughts?

Pretty jumpy at a very high idle (1500?).  It sounds good while reving, but they all do.  I suspect it needs some ignition/carb adjustment and jetting to get the stumble out, idling at 900 and running smoother.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

31 minutes ago, Teelinger said:

@jackhossross are you in the PNW?

I am not - I am located in Boulder, CO. I am not afraid to purchase vehicles out of state though. I have purchased my last three vehicles by getting on a plane and driving the vehicle home.

I think its a cool homage to the first experience with a new car.

JR

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it's cheap and runs. Albeit maybe not all the way to Colorado. Scroll to the end of the ad for details on the car. I bought some parts from this guy. He's a master mechanic who works for Volvo. 

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/d/classic-bmw-parts-updated/6769697791.html

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

12 hours ago, Teelinger said:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it's cheap and runs. Albeit maybe not all the way to Colorado. Scroll to the end of the ad for details on the car. I bought some parts from this guy. He's a master mechanic who works for Volvo. 

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/d/classic-bmw-parts-updated/6769697791.html

Wow man - that is a great find .. I think that would be a candidate to ship home at that price.

I would save a good bit of cash before buying that so I could ship it home and dump 5-10k to get it where I want it .. but I love the fact that it already has a running m42 swap in it at that price-point.

I have a really great BMW shop in Loveland, CO that will baseline the vehicle for me. From there the rest would be on me.

This type of project would be one option at this price-point. The other would be to find one that has  most of the exterior paint figured out at a higher pricepoint and a stripped down interior with engine well sorted. I am very intrigued by the one you just sent me though.