• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shopping for a clutch master cylinder- what brand

Dionk

Seeking opinions.  After searching the web a bit I see that there are several manufactures of clutch master cylinders out there.  I need to buy one for the project I’m working on.  

Brands ive seen for sale include

fte

fag

centric

sacks

Ams automotive

beck arnley

Is there a recommended manufacturer to use?

38 minutes ago, Dionk said:

Seeking opinions.  After searching the web a bit I see that there are several manufactures of clutch master cylinders out there.  I need to buy one for the project I’m working on.  

Brands ive seen for sale include

fte

fag

centric

sacks

Ams automotive

beck arnley

Is there a recommended manufacturer to use?

Fte is owned by Valeo and should be considered "OEM" quality. Not premium, but better than any run of the mill house brand junk you'd find at a local parts store if our cars were 30 years newer.

Fag is good, owned by Schaeffler, known for quality bearings along with their other brand INA. 

Never heard of Centric

Is it really "Sacks" and not "Sachs?" If the former, I have no idea, if the latter, a well-known OEM for all kinds of chassis parts. Probably comparable to Fte.

Never heard of AMS

Beck-Arnely seems to be a supplier name that just re-boxes other peoples stuff rather than making anything of their own. They probably weren't always that way.

I've seen good stuff from them, and some real junk. Not necessarily different than similar items readily available from the actual manufacturers themselves, just the same things by a different name. Without being familiar with whose MC they're selling, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Is it really "Sacks" and not "Sachs?" If the former, I have no idea, if the latter, a well-known OEM for all kinds of chassis parts. Probably comparable to Fte.

Yeah. Sachs. My typo.  

Thanks for the input.  

Im out to avoid buying an MC that’s going to leak and start rusting my car away.

The last Sacks stuff I bought said, loud and proud, "Made in China" on it.

But cost as much as the German- made FAG I actually used.

I think you may have gotten the spelling right the first time.

Centric=Chinese.  The 'Premium' line is some of the best that China has to offer, though, and is pretty good. 

AMS runs movie theaters, right?  Or is that AMC, of Pacer and Gremlin fame?

t

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Centric is a major rebuilder and supplier of automotive hydraulic stuff. I recently bought a Centric rebuilt Tii brake master cylinder from IE, and what I received was an ATE OE part. I took it apart before installation and it was very clean, and works very well... so far.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Yes- Centric rebuilds parts with seals of non- OE origin.  All the kits I've bought

from them separately say Made in China on them.  I've never used their rebuilt 

parts- do they give a country of origin?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL