• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shopping for a clutch master cylinder- what brand

Dionk

After I recently replaced the clutch MC, I took the old one apart to investigate the failure.  It came apart easily and didn't look very bad inside at all.  However one of the rubber sealing rings had an obvious worn area that was the likely culprit for the problem.  Since it was the sealing ring closest to the outlet going to the slave cylinder, there was no leakage past the second ring, just less ability to keep the clutch disengaged.  I found that the rubber seals were very easy to remove and replace.  If I had to do it over again, I'd probably try to find the seals and just put them on to see if that fixed the problem.  Much less stress on the clutch MC than with brakes, so it just might have done the job.  However, the weird rubber grommet inlet connection should also be replaced, so that would also have to be found.   

I had White Post restore two brake MCs about 10 years ago.  The first was one I got from a junkyard and was in awful shape. It came back looking like new, but failed very quickly.  Probably my fault for trying to rebulld one in such bad shape.  They rebuilt a second one for me and that worked out fine.  

Interesting that they can be rebuilt. What does white post charge for the rebuild service? 

I ended up going with a new FTE off of eBay from Blunttech.  

$78.00 with free shipping.  There are cheaper listings on eBay for FTE - but I like the piece of mind of ordering from BLunttech.

Seperatly (a bit of a rant) It would be nice if companies listed their MTBF with the parts they produce.

1 minute ago, Dionk said:

Seperatly (a bit of a rant) It would be nice if companies listed their MTBF with the parts they produce

That assumes that they know what they are. It would also assume that they would get accurate information back regarding failure and the cause of failure from the 1,000s of mechanics (or amateurs) fitting and removing the parts. 

Maybe with a tightly controlled operation with cars under warranty and a closed loop of a parts supply chain. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

In case there are more Foreigners, like me,   

MTBF

Mean time between failures is the predicted elapsed time between inherent failures of a mechanical or electronic system, during normal system operation. MTBF can be calculated as the arithmetic mean time between failures of a system.

Your welcome.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17