• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NM/NA Such a cool European early 1600 going for peanuts

resra

13 hours ago, resra said:
Price: $1

Description:

How come this is going unnoticed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-BMW-1600/183600080357?hash=item2abf6ae5e5:g:kPsAAOSwjmRcHuWJ:rk:12:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Not mine or any affiliation.

+1

Slipped past my search string!

Caribe with (now-filthy) factory gray interior: certainly one of the great color combos on an early car! Very complete, with most of the original goodies. But, of course, needs everything. I’d be shocked if offers exceeded $5K.

VIN 1516702 might be a February 1967 car; it’s certainly an early 1967 example. Given how early in 1967 the car was produced, it could conceivably be Hoffman Motors (i.e., U.S.-delivery) car, despite the Euro front bumperettes and rear bumper. It does have a U.S.-spec instrument cluster. Has anyone requested its data from BMW Group Archives? This would immediately resolve the question of European or U.S. original delivery. Certainly a great basis for the restoration of an early 1600-2!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve, you nailed it. I still think it is a European delivery because it’s so much more easier to change the cluster to mph than to change and locate European bumpers. 

Im so terrified of finding the odd mechanical parts for the early cars that I don’t want to find one. Otherwise I would grab this myself. 

40 minutes ago, FunElan said:

Holy smokes!! That car looks like a mess, but I'm drooling over that grey interior! My caribe car needs it...

I don't think it's that much of a mess! :)  

Yeah those door panels are amazing for 50 years old.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

11 hours ago, Conserv said:

I think that is all the money given the condition, and despite the car’s attributes!

Regards,

Steve

I was one of the high bidders. Spoke to the current owners numerous times to get all the details. The 1600 has great bones from the videos and pictures I had requested. 

The towing company that owns it acquired it during a job and seeing a few trade online at BaT and forums they decided to auction it. Reserve was well over 5k, although that’s now the new Buy it Now price. Too much for me to justify, running or not. 

Cool car, I hope it goes to an enthusiast! I requested the VIN info but haven’t heard back yet. Did anyone else request the information from the archives group?

• Like 1

-Ryan

03/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

15 minutes ago, oh2ryan said:

I was one of the high bidders. Spoke to the current owners numerous times to get all the details. The 1600 has great bones from the videos and pictures I had requested. 

The towing company that owns it acquired it during a job and seeing a few trade online at BaT and forums they decided to auction it. Reserve was well over 5k, although that’s now the new Buy it Now price. Too much for me to justify, running or not. 

Cool car, I hope it goes to an enthusiast! I requested the VIN info but haven’t heard back yet. Did anyone else request the information from the archives group?

Thanks!

Apparently Archives is closed until January 7th (reported in a thread regarding a 1971 ‘02 in Thailand).

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)