• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to know from chassis number: round or rectangular light

shanebm

I've tried to check from many sources but still don't know how can we know our car is rectangular or round taillight. I think there are many rectangular light converted to round light.

My question is how can we check from our chassis number that our car is rectangular or round taillight. For example, my 1971 car has chassis number 1655218. It is rectangular or round. I hope this question will be useful for many.

thanks,

shane 

IMG_9997.JPG

+1 ^

You can achieve 99% certainty with the following rules.

1.  No round taillight cars were manufactured after July 1973.

2.  No square taillight cars were manufactured before August 1973.

Email the VIN to BMW Group Archives and request their data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com). Then compare the factory manufacturing date with the July/August 1973 “rules” above!

Note: touring models never acquired square taillights, per se, even after July 1973. But...tourings manufactured after July 1973 had square taillight nosepieces (including plastic grilles), relay racks on the left inner fender, single-piece carpeting, etc. The round taillights were the only “round taillight elements” on these square taillight tourings.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks all for the quick reply and information.

is there any info telling us about the rear lamp whether it is round or rectangle?

from Conserv's suggestion, I emailed to an email your gave in your post but unfortunately it is New Year closed until Jan 7, 2019.

shane

From the list Rockyford posted above, round tail light, RHD 2002s all have VINs beginning with 165xxxx through 1660000.  They ran out of 165xxxx numbers in April '73, and had to switch to 255XXXX -- numbers 0001-2551473 to finish out the model year.  They couldn't continue with 166xxxx VINs as those are the first US spec LHD 2002s.  The cars shown as "Model 73" are actually '74 and later cars (built after August 1973) and all have square taillights.  

All clear now?

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 hours ago, shanebm said:

I've tried to check from many sources but still don't know how can we know our car is rectangular or round taillight. I think there are many rectangular light converted to round light.

My question is how can we check from our chassis number that our car is rectangular or round taillight. For example, my 1971 car has chassis number 1655218. It is rectangular or round. I hope this question will be useful for many.

thanks,

shane 

IMG_9997.JPG

Hi Shane,

Just to be clear, your 1971 2002 should have round rear lights.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

Hi Shane,

Just to be clear, your 1971 2002 should have round rear lights.

+1

But, Shane,

Based on your avatar image of a bright yellow ‘02, the front nosepiece on your car may have been transplanted from a square taillight car to your round taillight car. The center grille is certainly from a square taillight car. Are your car’s front side grilles made of plastic or are they painted aluminum?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I think the grill is made from plastic but i'm not sure for it.

there are more photos, it's found that there is the manufacturing year on the engine.

from these photos, would it be helpful to tell this car is round or rectangle taillight?

thanks.

01.JPG

02.JPG

A0.JPG

A1.JPG

A2.JPG

A3.JPG

A4.JPG

B1.JPG

B2.JPG

B3.JPG

B4.JPG

B5.JPG

VIN 1665218 was also a right-hand-drive round taillight. But it has had both the nosepiece and tail panel replaced with square taillight components.

As you, say, a lot of these ends have been replaced by now, many without regard to the original components!

Although it cannot provide a precise manufacturing date, the following website can at least provide an accurate date range.

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 2 weeks later...