• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn Signal missing cancel tab?

Tim of Capitola

FWIW - I checked the number on that cancellation tab a few days ago for fun (yes...I'm a total parts nerd) and there are FIVE of them remaining in Germany. After that, they're going NLA. Luckily they're easy to find used and cheap, because the cost of them is about $33! (yeeks!)

Item #8 from our website.

http://bimmer.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2583&mospid=47141&btnr=32_0973&hg=32&fg=30

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

• 6 months later...

I’ve been manually resetting the turn signal stalk since I installed the steering wheel a few months ago, so, based on this thread, I dug through my stash and found the metal cancelling tab. When fully seated in the correct position, however, the tab was too short by about 1 mm  to engage the switch. Any ideas? Should I just bend the switch contact until it touches the cancellation tab?

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

3 hours ago, fjord-tii said:

I’ve been manually resetting the turn signal stalk since I installed the steering wheel a few months ago, so, based on this thread, I dug through my stash and found the metal cancelling tab. When fully seated in the correct position, however, the tab was too short by about 1 mm  to engage the switch. Any ideas? Should I just bend the switch contact until it touches the cancellation tab?

Perhaps enlarge the mounting holes on the switch unit.

3 hours ago, fjord-tii said:

If the cancelling tab is 1mm "above" the turn signal lever arm (steering wheel off as you wouldn't be able to see), then when you tighten the steering wheel on to the column shaft you will depress the spring on the shaft allowing the cancelling tab, along with the steering wheel to lower a few mm. Assuming you have the correct pieces under the steering wheel, you should be ok.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I think I need to adjust mine as well, has been difficult to engage lately, I ‘may’ be swapping out wheels a bit too much ?

I have about two dozen of the cancellation rings if Paul ever runs out. Was going to send them all out for plaiting soon. 

9FAF56B1-1C06-44DB-9073-BFABD51D1530.thumb.jpeg.e3aac7b099bb44c996d88e76daea16b9.jpeg

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

I couldn't find the one I have, when I was mounting a stock wheel, so I made this one out of aluminum.

005.thumb.JPG.b2a5cd1f8c9962cee7d148a579c57149.JPG

The weld was a bit goobery, but it's held together.

012.thumb.JPG.9e228e2c16c86ea983dd2d2923e4eff5.JPG

I tried to copy the dimensions and position of the plastic one on the back of an e21 wheel.

A few weeks ago, I was noticing that the cancellation for a right hand turn required steering back just past center; so I pulled the wheel off to rotate it a tiny bit... went too much... then moved it back a teeny bit. 

Sometimes it does not engage to signal right, now, unless I turn the wheel some.

I'm sorta surprised it works as well as it does.

Unfortunately, I don't recall where I put the steel one I'd lost & found;

but I didn't look very hard, the second time around.

When I come across it, I'll probably install it and then lose this one in the parts stash.

Tom

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with my 69 - the tab was about 1mm short - I found a tread saying to loosen the steering column bolt where it enters the steering box and you can "politely tap" the steering column down enough to gain the 1mm.  

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 7:23 AM, jgerock said:

Couple of pictures of my 69 2002

IMG_7496.jpg

Note the rotated position of the cancellation ring (not at 3 o'clock)

IMG_7563.jpg

Jim, these pictures were so insanely helpful to me today. I just wanted to say thanks! 

I've wanted an 02 for many years and i recently bought my first - a 1970. 

I was working today on fixing the electrical "enhancements" from the previous owner. Your pics helped me confirm that i have a later turn signal lever hacked into my poor car. 

I'm on the hunt for a good used early lever if anyone has one!

On 9/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, iagainsti said:

Jim, these pictures were so insanely helpful to me today. I just wanted to say thanks! 

I've wanted an 02 for many years and i recently bought my first - a 1970. 

I was working today on fixing the electrical "enhancements" from the previous owner. Your pics helped me confirm that i have a later turn signal lever hacked into my poor car. 

I'm on the hunt for a good used early lever if anyone has one!

Glad to know the pics were helpful!  The early TS switches are pretty delicate. I had to replace mine.  You can still buy the dimmer stalk switch from BMW (or you could back in 2015/2016).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 8/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, fjord-tii said:

@Carlos_M: yes, tried that and also the BFH impolite method, didn’t’ improve :(. 

@03Les: seems to have worked! Impact wrench at full torque, lol. Thanks. Now I have to unlearn doing it manually. 

@fjord-tii I read through some other threads and I just “Unloaded” the spring, loosened the drive shaft, bfh a bit more, tightened shaft, reinstalled the spring - gained about 1mm and my turn signal still wouldn’t cancel. Finally I cut a aluminum washer in half, placed on the inboard side of the switch screws, which gave me enough of an angle for the tab to catch and now my signal cancels and I can still use the washer spray on the lever. What a PITA but at least I didn’t have to buy a new switch, yet. Good luck

B7EF0866-FC6E-41AC-94D6-BAD8C6B324FD.jpeg

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA