• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cluster removal

Hudo's 1st 02

Remove the boards under the steering column (if still present), reach up behind the cluster & unscrew the speedo cable fastener, remove the two (originally) round knurled fasteners (don't lose the washers!), push the cluster towards the steering wheel, disconnect wiring.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Hudo

I did this when I refurbed the cluster in late October. It really is as easy as  John describes above. You'll have it out in no time. Just make sure you keep all your fasteners for the under steering wheel boards/pads in some order, because at least in my case they weren't all interchangeable so you will need to recall which screw went where.

In time you'll be able to remove the cluster with your eyes closed in under 2 minutes.

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

3 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

Remove the boards under the steering column (if still present), reach up behind the cluster & unscrew the speedo cable fastener, remove the two (originally) round knurled fasteners (don't lose the washers!), push the cluster towards the steering wheel, disconnect wiring.

Aren’t they also a pair of screws in the “hood” to remove... or am i thinking of a mid80s VW?

3 minutes ago, VWJake said:

Aren’t they also a pair of screws in the “hood” to remove... or am i thinking of a mid80s VW?

Nothing under the hood to remove old BMWs.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

1 hour ago, VWJake said:

The early cars (68 and 69 for sure, possibly early 70s) had two screws that held the top section  of the plastic instrument housing to the underside of the binnacle's top.  After a couple of years the factory must have realized they weren't necessary and dropped 'em, so later cars don't have those screws.

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, mike said:

The early cars (68 and 69 for sure, possibly early 70s) had two screws that held the top section  of the plastic instrument housing to the underside of the binnacle's top.  After a couple of years the factory must have realized they weren't necessary and dropped 'em, so later cars don't have those screws.

mike

I was hoping I wasn’t losing my mind already. ?

Hi Hudo -

Not sure this exact topic is covered in this manual below, but if you have access to a printer or old laptop to keep in the shop, download all of these PDF files and read, read read.... This doc is on the FAQ under the Technical Articles -> History and reference sections. Also worth downloading the original User's Manual.

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

On 12/30/2018 at 7:13 PM, adawil2002 said:

In time you'll be able to remove the cluster with your eyes closed in under 2 minutes.

Actually without the dash pads it's more like 30 seconds.  Maybe as much as a minute if you have a toddler trying to help you with it.  It's comical how often I've had my cluster out.  Each time I think "this is probably the last time for awhile. . ." Yeah, never is!

On 12/30/2018 at 6:44 PM, John_in_VA said:

(don't lose the washers!)

Curious what the original washers look like/help with? In the 3 2002s I've owned I've never seen a washer behind the knurled nuts, so want to know more about what I'm missing out on!

9 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Actually without the dash pads it's more like 30 seconds.  Maybe as much as a minute if you have a toddler trying to help you with it.  It's comical how often I've had my cluster out.  Each time I think "this is probably the last time for awhile. . ." Yeah, never is!

Curious what the original washers look like/help with? In the 3 2002s I've owned I've never seen a washer behind the knurled nuts, so want to know more about what I'm missing out on!

A black plastic washer on both posts before the knurled nut. 

Andrew Wilson

14 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Black rubber washers with a small hole the size of the threaded shaft.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif