• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cluster removal

Hudo's 1st 02

If one or more of the knurled nuts are missing, the E30s used them to hold the lower facia piece that runs across below the steering wheel.  Studs are located near the ends of the piece.  Reach in there with your 10 inch long fingers just like that needed on the 02.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 2 years later...

I can’t seem to find the two hand nuts for the life of me.  I was able to locate the speedo cable and unscrew it, but it would require a lot of pull force to remove the cluster. Does anyone have an image of the two hand nuts? It seems that they aren’t present on my car because the cluster moves outward one inch without even unscrewing the speedo. 

My issue is the reverse of this conversation. I removed my instrument cluster 3 years ago, still have both knurled nuts with vinyl washers. I'm now in the process of reassembly with a dash that has been restored (recovered) that seems like it has reduced the margins/clearance for reinstalling the cluster. I used some silicon to help, not enough, had to retrace my steps and pull switches to get to the 2 screws that secure the the left and right of the dash to the lower dash, giving enough wiggle room to get the instruments back in. Did have to release the speedo cable from the tranny to get enough slack to connect. Also was blessed in finding a clock plug from artboakrill to replace my "jerry rigged" plug. So now need to replace all switches and the cluster, plug the power in and look for smoke . . . having installed 5 relays it's anybody's guess. jp5touring link to the 2002tii site is great, still looking for those 3 connectors.

On a slight side-note i was interested to read in the attached DashGaugeRefurb doc: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=268534 
about if you want to change out the faux wooden cluster face for the earlier black face cluster.. 'head to the junkyard or parts supplier'.

I found on my cluster, the older black face was under the clipped-over Faux wooden face.
I have a RHD UK 73 Baur so maybe different in the US, but it was a nice discovery!

Edited by 2002FjordBaur