• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First year tii 1971

djminkin

8 hours ago, oh2ryan said:

I figured thats what you meant. Will the OP DOES have plastic grilles in this case though haha

8 minutes ago, 02Les said:

In 2008, when it was for sale in Hohenhameln, Germany, it was stated to have 130k km.

247608243_27053901a.jpg.66921d2fd24bfb9eae0e29a6987636e5.jpg1709042722_27053901b.jpg.f19ffb3cbe4555deb7c31baae8e4c6ad.jpg

Wow that’s like a twin brother to my car. Looked exactly like yours just more rust!  

• Like 1

Here's the previous thread on the topic, FYI.  

The one thing I will say, overall, that I've learned in researching this kind of thing is that the euro cars did not change as much year-to-year as the USA cars did.  We had the crash standards and the clean air standards driving changes to the cars. 

Most of the stuff I've read over the years has left me with the impression that the euro cars had small changes occasionally, but were more or less unchanged year to year, except at the time of the the big facelifts.  

You could post a Q on the German 02 site, and see what you get back.  

https://www.bmw-02-club.de/

Here's a pic of my car - it is later in '72...

Scott

DSC_1044.JPG

Edited by saaron
Add links.
  • Like 2

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

11 minutes ago, djminkin said:

Wow that’s like a twin brother to my car. Looked exactly like yours just more rust!  

I believe it is yours - VIN 2705390, or, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

For sure.  The metal brackets / pieces that hold the headlight buckets are gone.  

Look at the Bill Williams post halfway down this page.  It shows the headlight buckets in the top pic, and the brackets in the second.  

This pic shows the rest of what is behind the grille toward the center of the car, FYI.  

Scott

IMG_0112.JPG

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Same issue I’m working through. I guess the people on the other side of the pond really enjoyed the quads, I see it on so many early 2002tiis.

Had I known the struggles to getting this repaired, I would have just purchased a new nose and replaced the entire piece vs. grafting in the missing bits. 

Nice car, one for sure worth saving!

• Like 1

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

And here’s what an un-cut headlight bucket support looks like.

(I hear your frustration, Ryan, but the welds you’ll likely have from replacing solely the bucket supports will be fewer, smaller, and — importantly — better concealed than the seams that must be opened and closed to replace a complete nosepiece. And rust-free, undamaged round taillight nosepieces are very rare!)

Regards,

Steve

91308B43-327F-4D59-8800-C944069B39C0.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, oh2ryan said:

Same issue I’m working through. I guess the people on the other side of the pond really enjoyed the quads, I see it on so many early 2002tiis.

Had I known the struggles to getting this repaired, I would have just purchased a new nose and replaced the entire piece vs. grafting in the missing bits. 

Nice car, one for sure worth saving!

Where did you find the metal? 

10 minutes ago, djminkin said:

Where did you find the metal? 

Still looking! They're so common, yet so hard for most to remove that they're tricky to acquire (at least I am guessing that is why I still don't have a set in hand yet).

I have managed to find some of the rarest 2002 bits out there in circulation yet these remain elusive! :)

I would be curious to see what BMW archives says about your VIN. Production date and country of delivery.

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

3 hours ago, oh2ryan said:

Still looking! They're so common, yet so hard for most to remove that they're tricky to acquire (at least I am guessing that is why I still don't have a set in hand yet).

I have managed to find some of the rarest 2002 bits out there in circulation yet these remain elusive! :)

I would be curious to see what BMW archives says about your VIN. Production date and country of delivery.

Are the headlight buckets the same for all years? I have a late euro nose piece that I am willing to cut those, if they are not too difficult to remove.

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

10 hours ago, Cruzr said:

Are the headlight buckets the same for all years? I have a late euro nose piece that I am willing to cut those, if they are not too difficult to remove.

Please send me a message with the picture of them. I’d be interested in buying them for my car. Thx