• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baur carpet question

BarneyT

I’m Getting ready to redo the interior “seats/carpet” of my 74 baur from blue to black , my question is the existing carpet is solid blue the other baurs I’ve seen had solid blue or black as well did they all come solid colors or the salt and pepper color originally?

3DDFB3AD-0879-4529-BC8D-8A56D3057C1A.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
Mis print

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Barney:  My '72 targa has salt and pepper.  The carpeting is old/worn but I can't say for certain whether it is original.  I'm pretty sure it is.  I looked in some cabrio factory brochures from back in the day but the pics don't include carpet.  As you know, Baur would do most any custom touches desired by the buyer but I'd be surprised if anyone changed carpeting.

Don

• Like 1

I'm suspecting here, but I'd wager that the carpet colors and whether they were solid or salt 'n pepper depended on the exterior paint and interior upholstery on Bauers as well as standard sedans and Tourings.  

For example.. on roundies, Malaga, Agave, Sahara, Nevada etc cars all came with a solid color greyish-tan carpet, while various shades of blue, Polaris, Inka, Colorado etc, came with the salt 'n pepper grey/black carpet.  Chamonix cars came with a solid blue carpet.  

When the factory went to one piece carpets on squarelights, IIRC most if not all the carpets were solid colors:  blue for blue, silver and white cars, and tan for the tan, green and red cars.  So the conclusion is that Bauer followed the same lineup, as I suspect the carpets on their cars came from the same supplier.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Original square taillight carpeting — largely one-piece, but with separate pieces for the front kick panels and the short bulkhead below the rear seat — is generally marked and dated. The first photo below shows the original carpet in my ‘76, removed for cleaning and repairs. The second photo shows the date stamp on the main carpet, April 12, 1976 (“12.4.76“). The third photo shows the date stamp on the short bulkhead piece below the rear seat, April 14, 1976 (“14. APR. 1976“).

My ‘76 is VIN 2762541, manufactured April 23, 1976. Thus, the carpets in my ‘76 were manufactured (completed?) approximately 10 days before it was installed in my car.

The original color of my ‘76’s carpeting is actually a mixture of blue and gray, as seen in the fourth and fifth photos. This is for a Polaris car with Navy Blue (a.k.a., Marine Blue) all-vinyl interior. My ‘76’s carpeting has faded somewhat, particularly on the driveline tunnel; the original coloring was a shade darker than the examples I’ve illustrated here. If you look at the current version of the parts schematic on RealOEM.com, the carpeting — sadly “ENDED”, of course — is described as Marine Blue and Gray (“MARINEBLAU-GRAU”) and applies to cars manufactured from August 1973 to July 1977.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2215-USA-04-1976-114-BMW-2002&diagId=51_3338

(Note that, in the RealOEM.com link above, the “other” OEM carpet offered, is Black and Gray [“SCHWARZ-GRAU”], suggesting that multi-tone carpets were very common, if not exclusive, on the square taillight cars. Although absent from the RealOEM.com listing, “Nylon Brown” or “Beige” square taillight interiors had multi-tone light brown/manila carpets.)

Regards,

Steve

F7608B26-B3B8-4FEE-BCE3-EA29CED7F4A5.jpeg

E01D3C8B-90C3-4F7E-82B0-2ACB1D92E6D1.jpeg

84B6FC15-641A-498A-A703-97276B4020BE.jpeg

188D5C26-4018-449A-A370-4E72576C3754.jpeg

65EBF217-CDF5-4EE7-ABC3-A9DE1FA06CFD.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi,

There is also a less than clear picture of a yellow square taillight targa from the BMW Group Archive which also shows a salt & pepper type carpeting (in yellow or maybe "maize" is the right color)...with black leather looking seats with no headrests. I guess its a press picture, one is a side shot the other is looking from the top down with the seats reclined pretty far. I don't know anything about the Baur's but it has the silver guages, with a rev counter, a printed gear shift patter on the dashboard and the later matte finish heater controls. No clock that I can see, short tunnel cover and closed 3-spoke wheel like a standard 2002. Seems to have some kind of emblem on the passenger side front fender, mounted really low, would imagine its a Bauer emblem. The text notes that Baur provided a lot of options to buyers when ordering, though they were ordered via the official BMW dealer network. I found the picture in color in a German publication "Young Classics" that appeared in 2013 in Germany page 20.

Andrew

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 11 months later...
48 minutes ago, 2002FjordBaur said:

I believe so, but the Baur has a an extra panel for the rear hood well. 

Agreed.

I assume that you're referring to the carpeted area behind the rear seats. The soft top drops into this cavity when the rear roof section is down (under the tonneau cover).

• Like 1

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying