• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know where to get the cable ties that hold the horn/lights wire harness to the radiator support?  And while we are at it, what is the best choice for fabric tape to re-wrap the wires?  I've checked with Maximilian and the cable ties are NLA.  Internet searching turns up no cable ties close enough to look original.

cable tie.jpg

For the cloth tape:  folks have had good success with the black fabric tape hockey players use to wrap their sticks; I've used "bias tape"--available at a sewing shop.  It's black cloth, the proper width and is cut on the bias (diagonally) so the cloth is stretchy, making it easy to get a tight wrap.

The plastic clips should be available from some manufacturer as they were used on other cars, not necessarily German.  

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I purchased the cable ties from the dealer a number of years ago.
I have not looked at Real OEM, so do not know if they are NLA now.

Eastwood Co makes a fabric tape similar to the OEM tape wrap that works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

Walloth Nesch in Germany sells the cable clamps. Believe they have a long and short version.

They also sell the metal wiring harness clips that are in the engine bay.

I use 3M friction tape to wrap the harness.  You can buy it from a hardware store or from Amazon.

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

According to the website, rogerstii has all 3 sizes (41mm, 53mm & 70mm). I bought them 3 years ago for $1.86 (not Rogerstii). 50% increase in 3 years.... about typical for BMW.

Edit: I see Maximillian has them listed for 1.99 each...………..that's realistic.

http://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002-3-0cs-69mm-long-cable-tie-wiring-holder/

1080969466_CableTie.jpg.fb83ed7a2a26408b2a322e8eef3e5b0a.jpg

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I've found that the 3m friction tape will transfer black glue onto the paint,and, For the early cars that leave a certain amount of the wiring exposed with every wrap, use the 1/2" wide 3M that you can buy at walmart. Don't know the # is but it's the same tape that Carl Nelson sells at LaJolla Independent.It's about $1.90 per roll,yellow package and won't transfer glue.

31 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

The (real) automotive tape is made by Tesa.

Works well doesn't turn gooey and rather inexpensive:

https://www.ebay.com/p/3x-tesa-Motor-Vehicle-Fabric-Tape-With-Fleece-51608-25mm-X-25-M-Adhesive/1162039677?iid=252032122342&chn=ps

Edited by halboyles
  • Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

According to the website, rogerstii has all 3 sizes (41mm, 53mm & 70mm). I bought them 3 years ago for $1.86 (not Rogerstii). 50% increase in 3 years.... about typical for BMW.

http://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002-3-0cs-69mm-long-cable-tie-wiring-holder/

1080969466_CableTie.jpg.fb83ed7a2a26408b2a322e8eef3e5b0a.jpg

Any change you happen to know how many of each? :)

46 minutes ago, D.martijn said:

Any change you happen to know how many of each? :)

I do not know the total required of each length for the whole car. I only needed 6 to replace damaged ones under the hood and in the trunk area for my Touring.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

For the cloth tape, I believe one of the preferred tapes is Colorplast.  For texture and glue tackiness (you can unwind it) I recommend it.   I have used the 1" version, but if I were to do it over again, I would order the 1/2" version.  The original harness dressings were a spiral revealing the wire colors, not a complete cover of the wires.

A selection of the three sizes of re-usable ties is available from W&N, but they don't just "jump out at you" in their on-line shop.  If you write to them, I'm sure they'll get you to the right part.  I reviewed my invoices, but couldn't spot them.

Edited by Swiss 2002Tii
spelling
  • Thanks 1

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)