• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Quarter window "U" trim

NYNick

Struggling with the rear quarter window install. I expected as much.

The plastic "U" trim that covers the headliner seems too long. It's original. I have two pieces, one for each side. According to the Tech article, you push this on as you go along to help hold the seal in place. I also have two short pieces for the B pillar.

The curved piece that begins at the bottom of the "C" pillar (at the end of the door card. I fitted that for reference) extends about 6 inches past the "B" pillar. The second pice of "U" trim (about 15 inches long) fits nicely on the "B" pillar, vertically. What the hell?

I'm missing something obviously. Sometimes I feel so dumb about these things, especially when I took this car apart. I can take pix if necessary, but if anybody has a picture of the inside of these quarter windows and the U trim, that would help.

Thx

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Here's pics of my '74 Touring & '76 Beater.

The grip trim starts at the base of the c-pillar (low enough to be just covered by the quarter panel card thingie). It extends over the rear side window, across the b-pillar and over the front door opening and down the a-pillar. At the b-pillar, the bottom of the trim is cut away to allow it to cross over the b-pillar.

HTH

DSCN3392sm.thumb.JPG.ca712f321576a0b437969ee06c19dd3f.JPGDSCN3394sm.thumb.JPG.059f7db7136badec3b64d024dadce171.JPGDSCN3395sm.thumb.JPG.2b03b13360881ad3f9c1e6bf3f0fd0c1.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Let me just say this: I HATE these quarter window seals! I've been on them all day and have barely gotten one to the "kink" and can't get them any further up the C pillar. Back hurts, hands hurt, pride hurts.

Meanwhile I think you guys might have caught me in an error. By your pix I see the headliner U trim travels all the way from the front of the door to the bottom of the C pillar. If that's the case, this piece of U trim I'm trying to fit on the quarter window actually belongs on the latch side of the door. I'll give that a try. 

Meanwhile, these seals suck.

UPDATE:

That's what it was. I had the headliner trim going down the door at the latch instead of continuing and terminating at the bottom of the C pillar. Thank you.

Now if one of you would just drop by and do these seals for me....

Edited by NYNick
update
  • Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Got the Rear Quarter Seals in. It was a two man job. Once we figured it out, it still wasn't a breeze. Big THANKS to my Porsche buddy Jonathan! Couldn't have done it without you!

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS