• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 touring 2002TII

raul duke

Jimmy Why would it have both? I appreciate the info. I’m no expert on bmws obviously. My other car is a 1976 series 3 Land Rover british edition I know all about land rovers.   Like I said after I get the vin and talk to the owners wife I can get some more details on this I can report back to you. 

Why would the decal have more than one model listed on it? Because throughout the production of the cars BMW used decals and identification plates that applied to multiple models of cars rather than having unique items for every possible variant.

Here are pictures of a car with 5,000 km. This is what it should look like if it has a similar mileage and has sat in a shed all it’s life.

• Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I spoke with The owner of the house they lived in and she lives next door she said the car never left the garage for 48 years. I wrote the owner regarding the paint and the stick and crappy attached emblems other mods etc I will know more tomorrow after I get the whole vin number I searched the chassis 3420190 not much luck. Regardless do you think it’s worth 4K and what the resale would be once I fix the grill and the front bumper?

It's interesting that the the car appears to be a real touring. One big question is why were the fuel injection components removed at such low apparent mileage. That just does not happen, as has been stated here.

The waist line trim and rain gutter trim is removed. Holes filled on the waistline. Unless that  front bumper merely has dirt on it, the car has not been covered for 48 years.

The nuts securing the valve cover are incorrect.

The seats are not stock.

Trim and gaskets removed from B pillar why?

We need more and better photos. Is it worth $5k? Probably IMO, as long as the underside isn't rotted.

Here's what a nce one looks like https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-bmw-2000-touring-tii/

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

31 minutes ago, raul duke said:

Esty how is it an imposter? 

We are doubting the fact that a car, not available in the USA at the time of production, with only 4000 km, had the factory fuel injection parts (or maybe the entire original motor) removed & a paint job.  If it runs it will be worth what you pay, but there's more to this than meets the eye.

Good luck!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Spoke to the owner they bought it from another guy. When they bought it the stick was in it and it was painted. They actually bought it awhile after 1971. So you guys are right. I’m glad I came on here for the advice. I’m going to run the vin# for the hell of it. It has been in the garage for a long time covered but I don’t think it’s worth dumping a bunch of coin into it. At least she was upfront about it.

raul duke said: The chassis number is 3420190

02Les (a touring owner) said: Yes that's the VIN of a 1971 2000tii, probably built around June.

Touring-specific parts can be hard to find & expensive when you do find them.  How deep you get into it depends on if you intend to fix, drive & love it vs. flip it.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

48 minutes ago, ray_ said:

It's interesting that the the car appears to be a real touring. One big question is why were the fuel injection components removed at such low apparent mileage. That just does not happen, as has been stated here.

The waist line trim and rain gutter trim is removed. Holes filled on the waistline. Unless that  front bumper merely has dirt on it, the car has not been covered for 48 years.

The nuts securing the valve cover are incorrect.

The seats are not stock.

Trim and gaskets removed from B pillar why?

We need more and better photos. Is it worth $5k? Probably IMO, as long as the underside isn't rotted.

Here's what a nce one looks like https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-bmw-2000-touring-tii/

Cheers,

This car is the mystery machine. Did they even come with a canvas sunroof? looking on google and they seem to be all metal. I was wondering why the waist line holes were filled. When I first saw it I hadn't done any research just took some shitty pics. There was a bunch of chrome in a sealed bag in the back. The steering wheel is replaced no BMW logo on it. Your right the seats are not stock. At least the current owner is giving me some history on it. They actually bought it in 1991 and shipped it here. The costa rican title says it was shipped here in 1971 so I went with that. She just wrote me they drove it a bit then parked in the garage so it definitely wasn't covered for 48 years. So it was covered since mid 1991. she said they never restored it because the parts were to pricey. So now it sits. At least she is honest she better be they have been missionarys here for 48 years.  Also they are good friends of mine. Decisions decisions. It's worth taking the mechanic out get it started and try to drive it. Have him look over the entire car. I have a 1976 land rover my other hobby but she runs great but do I really need two project cars is the question. 

Edited by raul duke

A non-rusty, running, regular '02 is likely worth $5k. 

If the metal is good, you likely won't "lose money" on it.

It's just not what you once thought it was. 

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.