• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 touring 2002TII

raul duke

It has a close ratio 5 speed. It has recaro sports. Both of which came with the Touring only sport-paket, and both of which would justify the asking price on their own (check out how much those seats are worth to the porsche crowd).

Why is there not a queue of people jumping all over this? Or is the big fat missionary accepting donations to his church from 28 different people thinking that they're buying a bargain?

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I live in Costa Rica so that makes it tough for expensive parts on top of custom duty.  She told me also it was running when they got it but they never drove it due to back taxes. I would need to drop a 1000 for the sticker for the plates. Get new plates and who knows what the previous owner did to it. Doesn’t seem to be worth it looks nice in person but who knows the previous owner could of unplugged the odometer etc. I’m going to run the vin# is it a 17 digit number or is the chassis number I posted enough. I searched the internet I couldn’t find a 1971 with a canvas sunroof. All the 70’s had a metal sunroof. Esty I typed in that link what am I looking for. John so it is a touring 2002tii

29 minutes ago, NickVyse said:

It has a close ratio 5 speed. It has recaro sports. Both of which came with the Touring only sport-paket, and both of which would justify the asking price on their own (check out how much those seats are worth to the porsche crowd).

Why is there not a queue of people jumping all over this? Or is the big fat missionary accepting donations to his church from 28 different people thinking that they're buying a bargain?

Nick the old man has Parkinson’s they moved back to the states. Donated their giant truck to the church and left the car behind. Nobody knows about the car but me. I’m just confused while the original owner changing the tranny to a  5 speed and why he took off all the waistline trim and the lower rubber trim. Filling the holes and painting it. Also putting it as a 2002 poorly putting on the emblems. Also I have never seen a roll back canvas sunroof. Why would he change the seats and the steering well.

8 hours ago, raul duke said:

This car is the mystery machine. Did they even come with a canvas sunroof? looking on google and they seem to be all metal. I was wondering why the waist line holes were filled. When I first saw it I hadn't done any research just took some shitty pics. There was a bunch of chrome in a sealed bag in the back. The steering wheel is replaced no BMW logo on it. Your right the seats are not stock. At least the current owner is giving me some history on it. They actually bought it in 1991 and shipped it here. The costa rican title says it was shipped here in 1971 so I went with that. She just wrote me they drove it a bit then parked in the garage so it definitely wasn't covered for 48 years. So it was covered since mid 1991. she said they never restored it because the parts were to pricey. So now it sits. At least she is honest she better be they have been missionarys here for 48 years.  Also they are good friends of mine. Decisions decisions. It's worth taking the mechanic out get it started and try to drive it. Have him look over the entire car. I have a 1976 land rover my other hobby but she runs great but do I really need two project cars is the question. 

THIS story we can believe. Indeed -91 is a little after -71.

Still it may be worth more than 4k though nobody knows what hapened during first twenty years. More information would be needed to be sure.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Well I’m glad I got the history of the car. I’m going to go check it out in the morning try and crank it up and drive it. Have the mechanic go thru it. I just don’t see getting 7-10k for it after dumping a few grand into it. A break even deal with a lot of red tape and time to get it street legal. Not worth the time and parts but I will spend a $100 to have the mechanic check it out and fire it up.

Edited by raul duke

More important than firing it up would be to see the condition of underside. Rust, poorly done previous repairs or signs of bad accident are the things that hurt the value big time. Brakes are probably stuck and starting the engine doesn't tell much about its' condition so trying to drive it may not be smartest thing. It sounds to me that this is not the right car for you but it could be for someone who wants to restore one for himself. 

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

58 minutes ago, raul duke said:

I’m just confused while the original owner changing the tranny to a  5 speed and why he took off all the waistline trim and the lower rubber trim. Filling the holes and painting it. Also putting it as a 2002 poorly putting on the emblems. Also I have never seen a roll back canvas sunroof. Why would he change the seats and the steering well.

the 5 speed was an original factory fitted option (well it could have been - it could also be a 4 speed with a different gear knob). 5 speeds often came with a limited slip differential. The seats were an original option on the touring, so they could also have been factory fitted. Whatever, they're worth thousands to a porsche owner, but should stay with the car if these are all ORIGINAL SPORT PAKET factory fitted options. However, they have been recovered.

The wasitline trim was removed because an owner preferred the look - lots of things happen to cars over 50 years. Emblem was stolen by a beastie boy fan and poorly replaced. Black canvas roof was a period non-factory fitted extra, very popular in england as it allowed cars to rust even quicker whilst having no sun to enjoy.

And lastly many BMW owners change steering wheels as often as shoes, none of these things are stuff you should be worried about. As stated just check for rust, it's the only deal breaker IMO. In fact even if it was hiding a ton of rust I'd buy it for the parts alone.

• Haha 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg