• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 Tii

johnpeter

49 minutes ago, Jbaumshelter said:

I think this guy's price is 5 years into the future. At 50k this car should be perfect. 

He wanted $60k on his first Ebay attempt. He's going in the right direction. He needs to put it on BAT; he'll find a buyer there.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 1/29/2019 at 10:47 AM, 02Les said:

He wanted $60k on his first Ebay attempt. He's going in the right direction. He needs to put it on BAT; he'll find a buyer there.

I contacted the seller and told him he should list it on BAT — and put up with the BAT bullshit and requirements — if he wanted that money for the car. He didn’t thank me for my excellent advice, but he did correct the VIN, per my request, which he previously listed as beginning with 273.... ?

I think his $50K is, at least conceivably, achievable on BAT, if he emphasizes the car’s originality and it’s one-owner history. It’s a right year, right color, right equipment (sunroof and A/C), right mileage car. And I have a suspicion that that those first two years in Wisconsin did not start this particular car down the rust road. This latter fact needs to be verified by examination. An original window sticker and a stack of receipts from Day One might also help him achieve his very ambitious sales goal.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Andrew Wilson, Paul Wegweiser, and I were swatting this car around on FB. I love original cars, but if you're trying to get all the money (and $50k is certainly all the money), you'd think you'd:

--Put insulation on the underside of the hood

--Replace the aftermarket radiator and plug wires with ones that looked more original so the whole vibe of the engine compartment is one of originality

--Stick a radio in the center console

--Put the right wheels on the car, or at least not slotted '74-'76 wheels

--Photograph the undercarriage

--AND NOT PHOTOGRAPH THE CAR WITH THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE PEGGED!

It's a person's right to try and maximize the sale price of a car, but for someone who says they've owned the car so long, it's surprising that the seller doesn't understand this.

--Rob

• Like 3

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

On 1/31/2019 at 12:41 PM, thehackmechanic said:

Andrew Wilson, Paul Wegweiser, and I were swatting this car around on FB. I love original cars, but if you're trying to get all the money (and $50k is certainly all the money), you'd think you'd:

--Put insulation on the underside of the hood

--Replace the aftermarket radiator and plug wires with ones that looked more original so the whole vibe of the engine compartment is one of originality

--Stick a radio in the center console

--Put the right wheels on the car, or at least not slotted '74-'76 wheels

--Photograph the undercarriage

--AND NOT PHOTOGRAPH THE CAR WITH THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE PEGGED!

It's a person's right to try and maximize the sale price of a car, but for someone who says they've owned the car so long, it's surprising that the seller doesn't understand this.

--Rob

Great advice from three fellows with great ‘02 judgement and taste!

The vibe I get from the eBay listing, however, is that this seller has little appreciation for or interest in promoting the car’s one-owner, highly-original, and low-mileage assets. This guy is pretty clearly not plugged into any ‘02 forum or vintage ‘02 group. He’s just a guy who knew what car to buy in 1972!

VIN 2761327 was probably manufactured between April 4 and April 8, 1972. I suggested to the seller that he request and display a (free) BMW Group Archives report, but that was, apparently, more work than he could muster to help achieve his $50K goal... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, Eiremon said:

Price is down to $44,500 which is getting closer to the right number.  The trunk photos - I assume no way that's original paint?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-BMW-2002/254340909538?hash=item3b37e649e2:g:xkEAAOSwhiJdHkX2

He's bought a couple of rattle cans and made it shiny. No clue why he couldn't have masked off the wires.

Back in January it looked like this.....

161141350_27613271d.thumb.jpg.9bb7a4fad5016843109883d85754de00.jpg1395680703_27613271e.thumb.jpg.e8aa64f9664d65ea84b346e801405764.jpg

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17