• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confirmation of Alpina Ancestry Arrived Today

By its VIN it's a very early US spec tii--wonder if it was a tourist, military or diplomatic delivery, as it obviously wasn't sold through Hoffman.  If you haven't already you should e-mail BMW Classic to get the build date and to whom it was delivered.  Bet there's an interesting story behind that car.  

And it would interesting to find out how it got into the US--especially if it had a non-stock Alpina injection system that wasn't vetted by the Feds.  

Let us know whatcha find out.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As I've learned so far.  It was delivered to Bovenseipen BMW (Alpina) Jan '72 and was built Dec 17,1971.Thanks to Conserv. for pointing that out.

The person that removed the components didn't know that it was an Alpina build. He said it had a stock Tii engine, #"s matching ( which he is giving to me for the restoration), Scheel seats, 3;91 LS diff, CR 5 speed, front and rear adjustable sway bars( which he is donating), Alpina accessory guage cluster and other goodies.

The PO has really been great in my search.Even providing a bill of sale from when he got it.

dq

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, coloincaalpine said:

He said it had a stock Tii engine,

So it didn't have the tricked-out K-fish pump and/or the individual Alpina throttles?

BMW Classic's info should have provided to whom the car was delivered in addition to the build date and original color.  That would tell you if it was delivered via Hoffman, most likely Stateside, or ordered through a German company that specialized in sales to US military and diplomatic personnel.

The accessory items you mentioned, especially the 5 speed and 3.91 diff make it special, and definitely not what was approved by the Feds.  Emission standards included specifying the gearbox type and diff ratio in addition to the engine specs, and US 2002s were only approved for 4 speeds and 3.64 diffs.

Very interesting...wonder how is slipped into the US...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Once I got my 02, my wife's college friend tells me he also owns a 74Tii and he firmly believes its an "Alpina" with LSD. I'm guessing he's owned it for 40 years and he text me a picture of the engine bay with bone stock intakes. Car has been non-op in his mom's garage in Socal, and obviously exposed to the elements at some point.  He did say very little rust.  

I already asked, its not for sale and he swears he's going to get it back on the road someday and knowing him, it will never happen. Think I need to get over there and take a closer look and get VIN#.  

Ryans 74 Tii Engine.jpg

41 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

and it has a snorkel.

That slotted mag wheel in the background is his 240Z I believe, he plans to get that back on the road too.

When you go, bring a bag of money. You never know...

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

My understanding is that legitimately-imported Alpina-modified cars, imported into the U.S. in the early 1970’s, almost invariably came here with stock U.S.-spec engines, as anything else had to be individually tested and certified, an expensive and time-consuming process. And a modded Alpina engine was simply not likely to pass any of the U.S.-mandated  tests, so why bother!

California was certainly hyper about differential ratios and, probably, transmissions, but clearly the Federales allowed some modded cars in. And I believe that 1972 provided more leeway than, say, 1975. Note the 1972 Euro-spec 2000tii touring, modded by Alpina, and imported by Motorcar Technology Ltd, after passing through Buchloe — like coloincaalpine’s car — in 1972. Some of its documents are shown below, as appear on the B.A.T. website. My understanding is that it came with a U.S.-spec engine, un-modified. This is the Polaris touring sold on B.A.T. a couple years back. Five-speed close ratio, 3.9 differential, etc....

Regards,

Steve

49A412EC-0385-447B-A4E3-6B35CE900F93.jpeg

F937236F-DD3D-46EC-8C72-54BB3DC69033.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

As a point of curiosity,

When Alpina, in 1972, refers to a 3.9 differential, what ring and pinion gears does it use?  Does it have:

A.) a 39-tooth ring and a 10-tooth pinion (a 3.90), like the 1976 U.S. 49-state cars, or

B.) a 43-tooth ring and an 11-tooth pinion (a 3.91), like U.S. 5-speed e21’s, or

C.) some other ring-pinion combination that approximates 3.9?

The 1976 3.90 seemed to spring out of nowhere. I’m just wondering if those 39/10 pinion/ring numbers were used prior to ‘76. It always seemed odd that, all of a sudden, BMW chose a 39/10, true 3.90, ratio to augment acceleration in a single model year of solely U.S.-market cars... ?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

87137101-7E03-4304-A09B-44250B94AA3D.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

It's probably impossible, but what would be nice is to find out what exactly ALPINA did to your car. 

They did every thing from "show & shine" to souped up street cars.  (I don't know if they built race cars for customers, but I doubt it.)

Mac