• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove driveshaft without disassembling exhaust first?

Touring2002

Here are some pics of the CSB heat shield (#9 on the parts diagram), and the shields for the guibo, head pipe and steering gear.

These are necessary to direct the hot air through the  engine bay and protect the rubber and greased fittings (steering arm).

Shields should be readily available at scrap yards....I seldom see them actually installed correctly on our cars.

802300535_CenterBearingHeatShield1.thumb.jpg.d3c33dc863586ea9c73cbbeabc9b928f.jpg

901418294_GuiboHeatShield1.thumb.jpg.be0ff9c9ee75be30749274d994d457cb.jpg

1551277507_HeaderPipeHeatShield.thumb.jpg.53f1a6f35edd8e9c2a75e2526e197f4a.jpg

957371394_SteeringGearHeatShield.thumb.jpg.24af68370f714d977ae5b7f9951648cb.jpg

• Thanks 1

What's all the other shields for, is it to keep from settin the tall grass on fire when you go necking at night or is it to keep the bob war from wrapping around the driveshaft? :lol:

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

They appear to be there to protect rubber components (idler bushings, giubo, csb) from exhaust heat. Were these US-only items because our exhaust was hotter from emissions tuning? Or was it because we're less rigorous about maintenance? Or both? Neither?

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

from exhaust heat

Exhaust heat on cars with the egr catalyst with late timing tune.  My car had no heat shields.

Yeah when I first read about them the literature referred to EGR and I thought "well, EGR is no big deal" not knowing that they called thermal reactors "Exhaust Gas Reactor" and it has nothing to do with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation" most people are familiar with.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yeah when I first read about them the literature referred to EGR and I thought "well, EGR is no big deal" not knowing that they called thermal reactors "Exhaust Gas Reactor" and it has nothing to do with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation" most people are familiar with.

They made cars after 1973?

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

14 minutes ago, John76 said:

I thought smoking weed was acceptable behavior in Colorado...No?

Shields are for the tall grass not the short cut kind.

Edited by jimk

Basically, all the heatshields were for the USA 2002 & 2002A (not tii). The tii only had the center brg shield and the Turbo only had the front axle one on the pass side (according to the parts book).

I assume this was to satisfy USA requirements.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17