• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: late model headlight rings

kdonato15

10 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The headlight retaining rings are the same from 1966 to 1976. 1974-76, however, were powdercoated black, to match the black square taillight grilles.

Regards,

Steve

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The rings for early cars with deep dish grills were polished and thicker on one side to fill the deeper grill void. The shallow grill cars, mid 72-73 were simple polished/chrome rings. The plastic grill rings were the same as the shallow grills, but as you said, were black.

Art

11 hours ago, Artboakrill said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The rings for early cars with deep dish grills were polished and thicker on one side to fill the deeper grill void. The shallow grill cars, mid 72-73 were simple polished/chrome rings. The plastic grill rings were the same as the shallow grills, but as you said, were black.

Art

Art,

Those asymmetric filler rings are simply spring-fit into the retaining rings for the deep-grille cars (1966-early 1972). I’ve not yet seen a retaining ring — I call them retaining rings because they retain the sealed beam headlight — that was permanently fastened to the asymmetric filler ring.

Below, I’ve removed the asymmetric filler ring (foreground) from the retaining ring (background) by simply compressing the asymmetric filler ring. Like many surviving asymmetric filler rings, this one retains its feathery gasket, albeit in miserable condition.

This set came off a ‘70. I’ve had the retaining ring re-plated but I’m still contemplating a method to remove and duplicate that gasket on the asymmetric filler ring. The retaining ring is the same as the retaining ring on the shallow grille cars and the square taillight cars, but for the black powdercoating on the latter.

Best regards,

Steve

C3D1C52F-AAF2-4444-A675-3D8B48B81F8D.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

Art,

Those asymmetric filler rings are simply spring-fit into the retaining rings for the deep-grille cars (1966-early 1972). I’ve not yet seen a retaining ring — I call them retaining rings because they retain the sealed beam headlight — that was permanently fastened to the asymmetric filler ring.

Below, I’ve removed the asymmetric filler ring (foreground) from the retaining ring (background) by simply compressing the asymmetric filler ring. Like many surviving asymmetric filler rings, this one retains its feathery gasket, albeit in miserable condition.

This set came off a ‘70. I’ve had the retaining ring re-plated but I’m still contemplating a method to remove and duplicate that gasket on the asymmetric filler ring. The retaining ring is the same as the retaining ring on the shallow grille cars and the square taillight cars, but for the black powdercoating on the latter.

Best regards,

Steve

C3D1C52F-AAF2-4444-A675-3D8B48B81F8D.jpeg

Ha! Thanks Steve. I stand corrected. Learn something new everyday?

Art

Edited by Artboakrill
Change