• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternative for exhaust bracket fasteners

Martijn 647

Hi everyone! 

Our exhaust bracket has recently come loose (pic attached). All the parts are intact, but the holes that the bolts pass through were filled with some kind of brittle orange wax, I assume to deal with the vibrations. 

I went to look at the original BMW parts but they appear to be some sort of bushing, and they're expensive. Can I just use large bolts and bolt the thing on, or is there an alternative which allows the vibrations to be dampened? Is that even required? Thanks in advance! 

20190210_160953.jpg

(O==00==O)  //  '76 1502 - Based in the Netherlands

See our story on instagram @Hanstagram76

Thanks for the responses! I was not aware W&N carried these. 

Also, thanks for the advice Jireland2002! But as we are located in Europe, W&N is the easier option for us.

Will update once I've got them in.

(O==00==O)  //  '76 1502 - Based in the Netherlands

See our story on instagram @Hanstagram76

• 4 years later...
On 2/10/2019 at 12:12 PM, jireland2002 said:

Looks like it is put together wrong.  The bushing/washer go on the trans bracket.  If you need new ones, we have the bushing/washer.  Not expensive.  Call us Monday.

I am installing mine, so can you please tell me from my photos, if I have the right order of parts. My biggest question is, does one of the spacer bushings go between the brass transmission bracket and the black matal header support bracket. I hope this is clear from my photos, thank you, Richard

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

I believe you have it correct, one rubber bushing on each side of the brass colored bracket with the small nub on the rubber bushings towards the bracket.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The final photo with the bushings on either side is how I did it on both of my cars.  The correct bushings are BMW Part #18211712091.  You just need 4 of those and the bolt/nut.  Maybe an additional outer washer.  Those other spacers on the parts diagram Part #18214690169 Spacer Sleeve aren't needed as far as I could tell. 

Mount1.jpg

Mount2.jpg

BMW Part #18-21-1-712-091.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

This is very interesting. These look nothing like the bushings on my 72 tii lol. Mine are light green, and the two 'halves' of each bushing are actually joined together with a bit of rubber, so each bolt has only one peice, but they capture both sides of the bracket. Don't know if that makes sense. Instead of being 4 parts, its 2 parts, each part being two bushings connected by length of rubber. I googled this bushing and only images that come up are same as the ones above. I'll have to take a photo next time I'm over at the garage.

edit: here’s an old photo I had of the bushings. 
image.thumb.png.f084dd66019030e7e0c471f6e2dceb19.png

Edited by Pablo M
Added photo

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)