• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

high performance ?

Lucian

My clutch is starting to slip and is there a high performance clutch I should use? or standard is fine,  I pull a motorcycle trailer with 500 lb motorcycle ...Lucian

EM-7-17-16 1920x1280.jpg

• Like 4

'67 BMW 1600-2 Sahara/Brown 133,000 ..'73 BMW R90/6 Blk/White pin/s 155,000

With a '67, you may have the earlier 6- bolt flywheel and 200 mm clutch.

That's kind of hard to upgrade- if you could find an early 6- bolt 2002

flywheel, that MIGHT let you go to the 228 mm early 2002 clutch, which would be

a worthwhile upgrade for towing.

Others will chime in, but in this case, I'd recommend an upgrade, since you're towing.

At this point in my automotive career, I'd upgrade the engine or make a flywheel,

but I've gone waaaay too far down the rabbit hole to be a 'reliable resource' for 

things like this.

hth

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

This is the Poster Child for a 4.45:1 diff and an Overdrive 5 speed.  I'm with Toby, it is really going to depend on what flywheel you have.  If it is the original crankshaft and 6 bolt flywheel you are going to be very limited.  If it is a 8 bolt then a 228 with the M20 2.5 pressure plate might be the best choice. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I just had the 6 bolt flywheel on my ‘67 2000CS machined to accept the later pressure plate and clutch. That was driven more by the fact that the early throw out bearing for the 3-fingered pressure plate is NLA; plus I was putting a 5 speed behind it. 

Any competent machine shop shop can do this for a couple hundred bucks. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I really like the look of this set up...

Seems like if would work fine if clutch was good / car not overloaded / not climbing the Rockies...trailer weigh spread out over two additional wheels adds little more weight than car fully loaded, the weak link I see is the wheels on the trailer.  Barney 

• Like 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Wow, thank you guys ,,, I have 6 bolt flywheel so I will go with standard 200 mm, also I have used clutch I bought some where along the way, pic's attached, maybe have redone and change out  also I  have purchased a (good? we will see) used trans and will take my orig. trans out and rebuild in time, so good reason to look for the early 2002 6 bolt with 228 flywheel, verify it will fit, my trailer is Aluminum and bike is under 500# …. it pulls fine … Lucian

clutch parts.jpg

clutch parts-2.jpg

clutch parts-3.jpg

If you can find a 2002 motor with a VIN below 1665200, it should have the 228mm, 6 bolt flywheel you seek.  There's bound to be a few floating around, as most folks, when rebuilding an older engine will use an 8 bolt crank and flywheel to take advantage of the later style clutch.

Just keep in mind, IIRC the 200 mm and 228 mm flywheels have different timing markings--doublecheck on this before you install or you may have a weird timing glitch.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

16 hours ago, zinz said:

I just had the 6 bolt flywheel on my ‘67 2000CS machined to accept the later pressure plate and clutch. That was driven more by the fact that the early throw out bearing for the 3-fingered pressure plate is NLA; plus I was putting a 5 speed behind it. 

Any competent machine shop shop can do this for a couple hundred bucks. 

Ed

From the looks of the 200mm spare you've got, I'd really recommend going Ed's route.  Order up a 

228 kit, tell the shop that it needs a .020" step for the clutch, and be done with it.  The 228mm clutch

will stand for a TON of abuse, and you'll never have to think about it again.

And if you tow a lot, the cheap Air Lift bags that fit inside your springs work wonders, for about $100.

You might have to call them with your spring dimensions, if they don't show an application for a 2002.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

32 minutes ago, TobyB said:

From the looks of the 200mm spare you've got, I'd really recommend going Ed's route.  Order up a 

228 kit, tell the shop that it needs a .020" step for the clutch, and be done with it.  The 228mm clutch

will stand for a TON of abuse, and you'll never have to think about it again.

Oddity: Somewhere on the shelf I believe I have an aluminum 6 bolt, 228mm flywheel (it seemed like a mistake when I first saw it). -KB

Some 1600--2  answers, I have never rebuilt clutch, almost feel this is 1st time?, a little old lady from AZ was original owner and made super mkt runs she had Frig King air no front fan , condenser a little on small side  I bought 1600-2 in 2009,(time fly's seems like yesterday)  I also shift gentle, any fast shift I get the crunch, used trans in box-pic,   I was blowing blue smoke (cracked head)  found some nos pistons on e-bay, so I am making tel. calls today about step up and kit, I have new rear green springs and will add the air bags, my wheels are stock 13". I thought I was going to tow a few times but been towing a lot, my vin 155xxxx range manuf Nov '67, my 1st outing with trailer LA to Mojave 100 miles I got 30 miles to gal it is all up hill from sea level to 3,000 ft elev ….. thank you guys again   all great ...Lucian

clutch.jpg

trans.jpg

LH Motorcycle trailer.jpg

10-21-18 El Mir.jpg