• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does the market take this BaT offering?

joysterm

There were a couple of comments on the BAT thread regarding a Colorado ti that was available in B.C. around the year 2000.  I bought a Colorado ti on Vancouver Island about that time and I wonder if it was the same car?  AlfaBMWguy and I have exchanged emails about it.  It was a really low mileage car (about 52K miles if memory serves) and wonderful to drive.  Completely original but it did have a crumpled left rear quarter panel and some rust.  I sold it on to a couple in the local CCA chapter.  They had the body repaired and painted and subsequently sold it to a very well know collector in SoCal.  I'm generally not that nostalgic about cars I've sold but that's one I wish I still had.  So it goes.

• Like 1

Bill 

1973 3.0 CS Nachtblau

1970 2002 Chamonix

1965 1800 Chamonix

Let this be a fair warning (in a friendly fashion) to everyone who is thinking about selling their loved 02s on BAT thinking they will get optimum. Nope...those days are gone. They came fast and they left faster! I think BAT is a platform where any and every idiot can join in and say anything derogatory to bring the auction down! I'm not sure if its just human nature to bring another person down or what but that seems to be happening a lot to every 2002 thats trying to be sold there. I notice that most who negative comment never even bid on a dead fly, yet they have a mouth full to say. I have no game in this or any of the auctions there but hurts me dearly when I see such a rare car unappreciated! $41k? lol....that car deserves twice that....yes...yes...I know...I know...most of you won't agree but ....i'm just bias to anything and everything 2002.

Just look at the inka orange round tail running driving project 2002 that sold for $6500 there on BAT.....that same car could have sold for more right here directly on FAQ perhaps without a fee or even ebay.

• Like 1

@bimbill, Yes, I, AlfaBMWGuy, am GaryB on BaT and that's the car I was referring to.  I had a shot to buy it from the couple you sold it to when they advertised it in Roundel for $13K or so.  They did the quarter panel repair and rust removal before I looked at it, although I didn't see the undercarriage, but then they did an amateur repaint that left the car covered in fisheyes every few inches from stem to stern.  My investigation later led me to conclude it was bad prep and the surface wasn't completely clean when they shot the color coat.  I was told it was friends of theirs who did the DIY paint job and I suspect they may not have had a booth as well.  Looking at the cost of redoing the bad paint to make it right, it was just out of my price range.  I was also pretty upset not to have been given a heads-up regarding the paint condition as I drove 5 hours each way to see the car in Snohomish.  Beyond the paint, there were just some minor nits when I looked at it:  dash had a big hole from a formerly mounted rally computer and it was one of those great dashes with the chrome strip facing, son of seller slammed a dangling seatbelt in the door so the door panel vinyl was perforated, and the car wanted to die when you got on the brakes--I suspected a bad booster leaking engine vacuum.  If the paint job was one I could live with even for a few years, I would have bought it, but it was embarrassingly bad to me at least.

-Gary

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy

9 hours ago, otisdog said:

I asked this earlier, and didn't get a response....am I seeing a drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank?

Probably, the early cars had a gas tank with drain plug. Up to early '71 I think.

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Probably, the early cars had a gas tank with drain plug. Up to early '71 I think.

+1

A great feature, subsequently lost...

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, resra said:

Let this be a fair warning (in a friendly fashion) to everyone who is thinking about selling their loved 02s on BAT thinking they will get optimum. Nope...those days are gone. They came fast and they left faster! I think BAT is a platform where any and every idiot can join in and say anything derogatory to bring the auction down! I'm not sure if its just human nature to bring another person down or what but that seems to be happening a lot to every 2002 thats trying to be sold there. I notice that most who negative comment never even bid on a dead fly, yet they have a mouth full to say. I have no game in this or any of the auctions there but hurts me dearly when I see such a rare car unappreciated! $41k? lol....that car deserves twice that....yes...yes...I know...I know...most of you won't agree but ....i'm just bias to anything and everything 2002.

Just look at the inka orange round tail running driving project 2002 that sold for $6500 there on BAT.....that same car could have sold for more right here directly on FAQ perhaps without a fee or even ebay.

Are you suggesting that only bidders should be allowed to comment? I can't say I agree.

And prospective buyers should be savvy enough to make their own determinations about the cars presented, comments notwithstanding or not :)

My $0.02.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 minutes ago, resra said:

ray, I don't mean only bidders can comment but I mean too many non-bidders are always trying to participate in negative comments keeping prices down.

Good for buyers, then! ?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

15 hours ago, resra said:

ray, I don't mean only bidders can comment but I mean too many non-bidders are always trying to participate in negative comments keeping prices down.

I question the notion that negative comments keep prices down. I give more credit to the intelligence of serious buyers. Negative vehicle & listing presentation attributes are what keep prices down. It also depends on who’s present and motivated at a given moment.

If BaT (which is run by some smart cookies and is in the business of making money from selling the maximum number of cars for the highest prices possible) felt that participation from non-bidders served as a detriment to eventual outcomes, they wouldn’t include a comments section.

BaT is actually a far better environment than an enthusiast forum to get top dollar for a given vehicle, because it’s auction format entails two or more buyers “competing” for the win, thus driving prices higher. I would argue that the “non-bidding commenters” actually drive prices up further in many instances by egging on the bidders and whipping their egos & testosterone into a buying froth.

Every auction is different and the final hammer is dictated by who happens to be in the room at the closing bell and how bad they want it...Consequently, it’s not really possible to extrapolate market value generalizations from isolated sale (or no-sale) results.

COOP (non-bidding idiot commenter)

Edited by COOP
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Conserv said:

+1

A great feature, subsequently lost...

Regards,

Steve

My 73tii has a bung in the bottom of the gas tank.  Shouldn't it have?

On the ti: the highest bid takes the car to $54K Canadian. That seems pretty fair to me.  I guess the seller sees a much higher value.  

73 Inka Tii #2762958

10 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

My 73tii has a bung in the bottom of the gas tank.  Shouldn't it have?

I don’t know, Paul: I believe I’ve previously seen tii tanks with the bung, but not regularly. Mine, VIN 2762757, doesn’t have a bung if I remember correctly.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My ‘73 carb model has a drain plug in the tank.  It has rusted in place so well, I was frightened that I would tear it out of the sheet metal trying to undo it. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/