• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a problem??

borgpj

The weight of the front end of the car is on these 2 stretched mounts.

Buy two dust caps tor them while you are at it.  There are ball bearings in there.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yes, replace them.  Last time this came up didn't we conclude that no one had actually ever had them break through?

Side benefit of replacing them- steering will be much lighter / easier.  And pay attention to how they come apart, there are a couple of washers / spacers in there.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

1 minute ago, halboyles said:

At almost any event where many '02s gather you can find at least one that shows the telltale bumps in the hood.

No kidding.  Yeah, change them.  Blunt has them in stock.  So does Ground Control... :sideways sneaky eyes with a smile emoji:

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

32 minutes ago, irdave said:

Last time this came up didn't we conclude that no one had actually ever had them break through?

They don't break thru because the upper spring pocket (BMW definition) moves up and will grind away on the heads of the bolts holding the mount to the fender.  Most assured the OP's are grinding.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

You can get aftermarket ones (we reluctantly sell them) for about $25.00 each or Genuine BMW ones for $112.00 each. I've had mixed results with the aftermarket ones, so I chose the genuine BMW ones on my own car. (it's not a fun job and I don't want to do it twice - EVER!) If you're in this deep, you might want to put new ones in, instead of used parts - though the offer above for free used parts is a super generous one!

Part number 31 33 1 110 195. 

Ones with longer studs (if you chose to use a strut bar someday later, or if you want to keep the USA only aluminum spacers under the inner fender) are part number 31 33 1 112 644. 

Hope this helps!

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

2 hours ago, wegweiser said:

Ones with longer studs (if you chose to use a strut bar someday later, or if you want to keep the USA only aluminum spacers under the inner fender) are part number 31 33 1 112 644. 

Hope this helps!

31 33 1 112 644 also on some Euros including my RHD Touring.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Get new ones with short studs from bimmer.com or sales@blunttech.com

Edited by adawil2002

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40