• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on the sale of my Golf 1971 sleeper project.

vespam5

Hey folks I wanted some advice on my current project which is a 1971 Golf yellow BMW 2002. The car has been mine for about 10 years, came from long time owner who listed it in a Craigslist ad in about 2009. The car is an all-original Golf Yellow on Black interior car with little to no rust, no accidents, and all original paint (though faded), original California blue plates and clean title. Though I'd love to keep this car, I have some priorities coming up and I will need to sell the car. The car sat for a few years in my garage while I accumulated parts for it and a couple months ago I started pouring all my free time into this project. My idea was to leave the patina and focus on a complete front to back mechanical restoration. Here are some details off the top of my head, all work performed by myself (a mechanical engineer and vintageAlfa Romeo/Porsche restoration shop owner):

Car:

1971 Golf yellow chassis, all original. Black interior, all original and a little beat, cracks on dash. Recaro seats. Battery relocated to trunk via Aardvark brace.

Engine:

M10 engine fully built. 10:1 forged CP pistons, 144mm rods, king bearings, knife edged crank, ported/polished 1.8 head, IE headers, dual Weber 45DCOE152 carbs, 123 ignition, full IE exhaust system, ZERO shortcuts taken etc etc all machine work done by Steve's Machine in Azusa Ca.

Transmission/drivetrain/brakes:

Getrag 245 5 speed, 320is LSD, balanced and shortened driveshaft, 320is rear drums, vented front brakes, SS brake lines.

Suspension:

100% powder coated every single suspension member, all brand new OE replacement steering arms and ball joints IE poly bushings, Bilstein sports front and rear, IE springs, IE sway bars, IE everything! 

Wheels:

Currently on rota 15x7 panasport replicas, freshly black powdercoated.

All the above is off the top of my head, but hopefully this gives you and idea of the amount of time/money/labor that has been involved. My big question is what the 2002faq community might think this is worth? My idea was to make this a total sleeper based off of a very solid chassis, everything I touched on the car was either cleaned, plated, powder coated, massaged, etc. The various light surface rust in the engine bay was all treated and neutralized with high end materials. I still have a bit of work to do but need to start planning the sale before I get too attached! Any input would be appreciated.

57117586137__C38662A7-B75A-44DC-BF26-09970DF42018.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2837.jpg

Edited by vespam5
typos
  • Like 2

As a disclaimer, you get what you pay for in advice and your paying $0.00, that being said…..

You've done great work so far to build a strong base car, kind of hard to expect a Non-shiny sleeper to get top dollar, figure the next owner will be looking at $6k-$10k for paint, trim & seals. You really cant expect a "Buyer" to be ready to pay more for a painted Subframe than a painted body.  

So in conclusion, your in so deep emotionally and financially your best bet is KEEP IT and drive it.

If you sell, think $10k-$16K in SoCals over priced market, obviously lower depending on your Local.

An acquaintance of mine just bought a similar car in new Glossy Schwartz with BBS-RM @ $20k  

Best of luck on your decision  

IMG_1757.thumb.JPG.f7a24f33d0abf4ec24e2ee2ab6aee67d.JPG

Edited by chargin

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

2 minutes ago, vespam5 said:

Maybe I should make it clear that I plan to make this car run and drive 100% perfectly before selling.

It's your Paint that's slowing down your price.

GLWS ??

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Thanks for the input so far. I understand I am providing only a little information. I had a paint correction expert give me a consultation on going through the entire car. He even polished a bit of the hood and amazingly he brought back all of the old color and shine, it is probably worth having him do the entire car.

I must say I love the honesty and faded look of the car as-is and I know there are a few people out there who appreciate this type of car.

Edited by vespam5
  • Like 1