• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right-hand-drive 1602

lastfm

Living in the United States (I checked your profile), logic would say that RHD cars would always be worth less than the equivalent LHD car (assuming that they are reasonably available). Certainly there would be some additional inconvenience associated with sourcing RHD parts (they are less available in general but then I buy most of mine from the States).

There is also the obvious inconvenience of having the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car for the direction of traffic. Only you can judge how inconvenient it is to drive like that (forget drive-through, over taking can be tricky without a trustworthy passenger to call the moves). 

Some people might think it has a bit of quirky attraction. You can bet that those cars (one car?) have an interesting story as to how they got there. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I think most RHD 02 owners would rather have a LHD.

RHD cars have dual brake servos instead of a brake booster. Also, steering column interferes with the exhaust manifold. Making working in that area or finding aftermarket parts a PITA.

I think the main factor in making an 02 worth more than an other is rust. I’d then take a rust free RHD over an rusty LHD. (Then I’d convert it to LHD. [emoji23] JK)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

1 hour ago, jmr_1602 said:

Then I’d convert it to LHD. emoji23.png JK)

Not that easy to do. Apart from swapping the front subframe, I think the firewall is quite a bit different and not easy to modify to fit the LHD pedal box and brake master bracket. One day I intend to do a reference thread highlighting all of the differences. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

7 hours ago, lastfm said:

Can you guys tell me if a 1969 or 1970, Right-Hand-Drive 1600-2 is worth less or less desirable car to people?

Thanks

It depends whether you are selling it in a RHD or LHD market! The U.S. is a LHD market, so it will be worth less here than a LHD example. Most people do not want to drive cars with the steering on the wrong side.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, Conserv said:

Most people do not want to drive cars with the steering on the wrong side.

Regards,

Steve

If you change Right to the alternative Correct, then you have Correct Hand Drive?

Since bringing my RHD Touring over here in 2000 I have had no trouble at all. The roads, generally, over here are much bigger/wider than the UK. It is fun to see cars passing by and doing contortions wondering what the heck they just passed, or what just passed them. Even better if my passenger is reading a newspaper!!!!

The only problem I have had on a number of times, is getting in the car and realising I'm on the wrong side; it can be a little embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

But what about the "JDM" craze that was heightened by the "Fast and Furious" movies?  I've seen some RHD Japanese cars here on the East Coast.  To me, they are a little quirky.  Maybe the owners want them because they are different than all the others on the road.

My first time driving a RHD vehicle was in the mid 80's.  It was a Mercedes SL.  Very unsettling to park and maneuver in tight quarters. Most recently, I drove a RHD 3-Series rental car in Ireland.

Converting any RHD vehicle to LHD would be a chore, especially finding a good LHD dash assembly for a Roundie.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

23 minutes ago, 02Les said:

If you change Right to the alternative Correct, then you have Correct Hand Drive?

Since bringing my RHD Touring over here in 2000 I have had no trouble at all. The roads, generally, over here are much bigger/wider than the UK. It is fun to see cars passing by and doing contortions wondering what the heck they just passed, or what just passed them. Even better if my passenger is reading a newspaper!!!!

The only problem I have had on a number of times, is getting in the car and realising I'm on the wrong side; it can be a little embarrassing.

And...I suppose the issue of paying tolls has largely been solved by electronic tolling. ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 minutes ago, Conserv said:

And...I suppose the issue of paying tolls has largely been solved by electronic tolling. ?

Best regards,

Steve

Even then, I had one hell of a time driving our LHD Opel Insignia rental car in Italy thru the (mainly automated) toll booths.  I'd pull up to the gate slowly, then heard a beeping noise then waited for the gate to go up...but it didn't.  After several attempts with angry drivers behind me, I pressed the help button.   Turns out, the car wasn't equipped with a transponder and the beeping noise was the parking sensors.  Good grief.    The rental car was delivered to our hotel so I didn't get a "familiarization" walk thru from the agency.   

Also - the factory equipped GPS was garbage.  I had to resort to my Waze app on my Android phone to navigate.

DSC_2012.JPG

• Sad 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, jgerock said:

Also - the factory equipped GPS was garbage.  I had to resort to my Waze app on my Android phone to navigate.

When all else fails, sometimes you need to go back in time?

853179655_ItalyRoadMap.jpg.91415c303d8a769d747d379869cbcf0b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17