• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washer bottle - replace round with square?

worzella

Did a few searches but no definitive answer. The '75 part number (61661350871) on RealOEM shows my round bottle in the picture, but any searches on Google show the larger capacity square bottle. The attachment appears the same, but was wondering if the square bottle fits in the space behind the brake booster? I know a few people have round bottles available, but much more choice for the square ones... although they all are bloody expensive for a piece of plastic :)

So if anyone has made this switch, let me know.

Thanks - Randy 

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

AFAIK all 2002s originally came with round bottles.  The early 1600s had oval bottles mounted sideways with 6 volt pumps (try to find one of those!)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Stevenc22 said:

My 76 had a round bottle mounted to brake booster

Like mike stated, 2002s had round bottles.  The square ones have been re-introduced over the past 10 years.  Round ones are available new & are somewhat pricey - it's all relative.  OP could use the classifieds to post in the Parts Wanted section for a used one or check Parts For Sale to see if anyone is offering one.  Good luck!

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/forum/18-parts-wanted/

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

8 hours ago, worzella said:

My original was leaking from the mount area

That's where they generally fatigue and start leaking.  You can make your new one last longer by padding the mount with some adhesive-backed foam tape.  You can also try repairing your leaking bottle by melting some polyethylene plastic into the crack, or finding an adhesive that will adhere to polyethylene.  

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

FWIW I just tried to plastic weld my old bottle.  I like the VDO on the side of the original bottles, but the cracks were no bueno.   I got a new one, and am a little put off by how white and clean it is,  something I need to get used to. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002