• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

matching numbers ?

recently purchased '68 1600-2. (vin 1561418) previous owners (2) known, do not believe engine was ever replaced, heavy grease/grim kinda supports that, BUT engine number does not match VIN. Is it possible to be oem with different numbers?

one other question, is the oem front "embossed" hood molding available from any supplier, anywhere?

Thanks for any input, Karl

The engine VIN would have been the same as the body, when it left the factory.  If you post the VIN on the engine, someone here might be able to tell you whether it is a 1600 still, or it has been swapped for a 2L engine... which was a common "up"grade.

The embossed hood molding is rare and special.  No longer available new.  That sure is a pretty little detail.

It'd be fun to see some photos of your new car :) 

Tom

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Karl Krumrey said:

engine # 1522790, any info on year,etc appreciated

1522790 would be a 1600-2 motor from April 1967. Your car would be November 1967.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The 1522790 motor would have had 6 volt electrics and came from a pre-US only version of the 1600.  US-spec only cars began with the 1968 model year at VIN 1560001; 150-155xxxx VINs are 1600s produced before the split between US and rest-of-the-world models.  So a PO swapped out the 6v generator and starter for 12 volt units, probably from the original motor.  

One of these days some clever soul is gonna make a die to re-stamp plain hood moldings with the embossed pattern, and make a lot of early 1600 & 2002 owners very happy!

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Karl is that 1600 from Sparta Mi. ?  I  had a look at it a month or so ago. Chamonix with a sunroof and for some reason he hadn't hooked up the front calipers.  Very solid car  in need of little TLC to be a very nice 1600.  I was there when he cleaned off the grease and realized it wasn't numbers matching.

He seemed surprised by that.   Nice score,Congrats. 

Yep its the Sparta car, have installed new front calipers/pads, new rear shoes, wheel brake cyl’s, so has brakes now, likly will install new rubber brake hoses next, acting like one or more may be collapsed , ordered weatherstrip seal set, was starting to get into it, however just had health issue come up, and so I likly will be selling for what I have into it, in case anyone interested,,,the good, solid undercarraige, the bad, amatuer 25 plus yr old repaint

( easy for me, retired autobidy tech paint rep) other bad, sunroof not working properly, will likly have to drop headliner to get a look see, repair, but I intended to replace headliner anyway

Edited by Karl Krumrey

12 minutes ago, HBChris said:

And 1968 US cars never had the embossed front hood trim I believe.

That’s probably right for a 1968 model manufactured in November 1967, but 1968 models manufactured in September and parts of October 1967 certainly received many of the 1966-67 goodies, such as two-spoke steering wheels, silver-painted instrument bezels, chrome-faced dashes, triangular cut-outs in the trunk bulkhead, etc. West palm’s very original and complete VIN 1560364 (September 1967) came to him with the embossed hood trim, visible in the second photo, albeit off the car.

Best regards,

Steve

E4A7CCAB-F56E-4765-8A13-9474EAD5ADC9.png

C007330F-A8C9-4F2C-8C40-D49BD4B02B4C.png

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)