• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Axle Clear CV Boots

I think you're looking for the clear boots, described as "cups" with PN 33-21-3-614-150. I got a new OE pair from the local dealer for $55.59 each in 2017. You'll also need the sealing rings, PN 33-21-0-001-709. They were $24.82 for both sides. Be careful when you pull the old joints apart. The needle bearings are NLA. There were supposed to be 29 per side, but a PO had lost a few, so I went to a local axle shop with my trusty micrometer and asked if I could go through his junk bucket. I got lucky and found some that were exact matches. Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of vehicle they came from. They are 0.0753 inches in diameter by 0.635 inches long. Good Luck!

• Like 3

Walloth Nesch have the clear boots; Blunt should be able to get them for you, too. 

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

2 hours ago, Karl Krumrey said:

Thanks for all the input, found several sources for the boots, ECS best price I found. What is the “oil” that is specified to be used?

And their service can't be beat! ?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 9 months later...

reviving this thread about early log neck half shafts with a question: are the transparent boots a must for use with the gear oil? Anyone try other boot types (ie the commonly available non OE ones) with gear oil? I ask because I have a basic daily driver level 1969 1600 and I already bought CV boot kits, and the $110 for 2 transparent boots could really be spent somewhere else on this car!!

thanks for thoughts on this

On 12/28/2019 at 8:16 AM, Hans said:

I believe they are bigger and thicker than CV joint boots. I will check in the garage.

That would be great if you can check. The previous owner packed the boots with grease, not oil, so I am trying to get back to the correct lubricant and hope the bearings aren't damaged. The little rollers seem ok tho I made the mistake of popping off the bearing too quickly - rods went all over the place...

26 minutes ago, ThompsonO said:

That would be great if you can check. The previous owner packed the boots with grease, not oil, so I am trying to get back to the correct lubricant and hope the bearings aren't damaged. The little rollers seem ok tho I made the mistake of popping off the bearing too quickly - rods went all over the place...

As I suspected, bigger at both ends. In fact the big end of the CV boot fits inside the big end of old style boot. How much are those suckers now?

You best check for wear on the inside of the main housing. That said, are the bolt holes in the diff/hub flanges asymmetrical or symmetrical?