• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 BMW 1600-2 - Where do I start?

Hi this is my first post as I just bought this car and would love to start restoring it....or sell it if it becomes too much :)

I have a few questions and I hope someone could help me.

• I want to repaint the car as the paint on it was done very badly. What color do you recommend to be a great color for these cars? I don't know what the original color was or its coding.
  • All the rubbers on the car are no good. Where can I buy door, window, boot and all other rubbers?
  • The gearbox lever seem to be moving all over the place. There is something that's not right. Any suggestions and where I could find parts to fix this?

If I don't restore this car I may mod it which is what I want to avoid as I would rather sell it to a collector that would appreciate it, but I don't even know what they are worth. I am in South Africa and this car was stored in a barn for the last 3 years on a farm that is next to the desert so there is no corrosion.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a bit lost on this one.

BMW1600.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice car!  

They show up in the strangest places, it seems.  Getting parts in the Kalahari will be a challenge, to say the least, but Walloth & Nesch can ship most all the parts you need from Germany.

First off, I think you should move this post to the General Discussion page to get more answers to your questions. (this section is for the earlier Neue Klasse cars).  Go here:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/forum/8-bmw-2002-general-discussion/

I see the car has the embossed nose trim... that is very difficult to find, take good care of it.

What part of RSA?  Go 'Boks...

Ed Z

• Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Congratulations on your find! As Ed said, posting on the 2002 general discussion forum is your best bet. You should also send an email to BMW (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) and request the build history of your car. They will reply with the date of manufacturer and delivery, as well as the original paint color and code. Good luck!

Brian

• Like 1

Welcome.

If you have a dealership you can order a great bulk of parts from them. Perhaps you could save on shipping this way. I once ordered a whole nose panel from my local BMW dealer. Shipping was on their own expense.

You can email info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com your VIN number and they will reply with delivery information and original paint color.

From the pictures your car looks like Bristol (grey.) an original color for early 02’s.

Good luck!

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Welcome and congrats on your car it looks to be in good condition, you will find everything needed to get this car going here you have already received excellent advice above...mine would be to get it  mechanically sound before worrying about the painting and that should be original color. Enjoy the adventure

Barney

• Like 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Email your VIN to   info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com  and they will provide the build date, original color and where it was originally shipped to.  

It's not often someone gets to say this before Steve !

Please post more pictures if you can.

Edited by Lorin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2