• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternative for rear bumper fastener 51111815611

oh2ryan

FAQers,

I am hoping someone out there has a work around for the pricey bumper hardware p/n 51111815611

Here is a link from ECS that shows the part in detail: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/fastener/51111815611/

And realoem: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2581-EUR-04-1971-114-BMW-2002tii&diagId=51_3327

I have two Euro bumpers for my 1971 2002tii, both with the openings of the rear black impact strip to attach to. One of the bumpers has slots to attach the strip, the other has holes. The bumper I wanted to run as it is in far better condition has holes and thus the common slotted snap in style (cheap) hardware will not work. Has anyone else ran into this and found a solution vs. spending hundreds of dollars on these little hardware pieces that run $12-15 each. I spent an hour at Ace ad while some creations I made work, they will be very tough to remove down the road if needed...

Thanks!

-R

IMG_4581.thumb.jpg.3230f722f463e0aa3119babbdf7dedd6.jpg

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

I saw that and I do have a large order to place with them tonight... but I’d still like to avoid buying 20+ of these for both front and rear bumper if there is a $2 version out there. Might just have to bite the bullet I guess. 

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

1 hour ago, oh2ryan said:

I saw that and I do have a large order to place with them tonight... but I’d still like to avoid buying 20+ of these for both front and rear bumper if there is a $2 version out there. Might just have to bite the bullet I guess. 

The $2 version is to make your own with some steel plate and some countersunk set screws. You just need to value your time. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

45 minutes ago, Simeon said:

The $2 version is to make your own with some steel plate and some countersunk set screws. You just need to value your time. 

In the middle of a spare no expense restoration I am getting caught up on fasteners. How ironic. I guess in the spirit of originality the BMW pieces are the only way to go. 

-Ryan

02/02 Z8 Jet Black

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

6 minutes ago, oh2ryan said:

In the middle of a spare no expense restoration I am getting caught up on fasteners.

I appreciate your bravado, and if we were talking about spending mega bucks on a NOS front grille or perfect dashboard; something that is front and centre, then I would say ‘don’t cheap out, stick to your dream’.

BUT... we are talking about some minor hardware that is fully concealed when installed. Only you will know it isn’t ‘right’. Save your money to spend on the important things.

If home fabricated fittings would end up as a worse solution than the factory ones, then I would also tell you not to take short cuts but you really can make fittings that are just as good, if not better than BMW ones at a huge discount (stainless steel?)

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 5 years later...