• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most rust ever?

Bmoreindy

28 minutes ago, Arizona02 said:

Salt air plus the yearly rainfall.

That's salt air rust--Coastal cars--especially in warm climates like Florida and the Gulf Coast rust from the top down.  The salt in the air gets into that locked over seam where the hood and trunk skins are crimped over their respective frames, then the high humidity keeps it damp.  Presto, rust.  Road salt cars rust from the bottom up...notice on that Florida car neither the fenders' trailing edges or door bottoms--notorious rust spots are rusted through like they would be from a New England or Midwest car.  

Morals: 

• don't buy a car from Houston that was taken to Michigan--or vice versa! 
  • don't buy this one unless you have a good hood and trunk lid.  You might be surprised about the rest of the car if it didn't leak into the interior and rust out the floors and rockers. But not for the faint of heart!

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, mike said:

Morals: 

• don't buy this one unless you have a good hood and trunk lid.  You might be surprised about the rest of the car if it didn't leak into the interior and rust out the floors and rockers. But not for the faint of heart!

mike

“Hear, hear”..preach brother !

Light is seriously underrated.

12 hours ago, mike said:

That's salt air rust--Coastal cars--especially in warm climates like Florida and the Gulf Coast rust from the top down.  The salt in the air gets into that locked over seam where the hood and trunk skins are crimped over their respective frames, then the high humidity keeps it damp.  Presto, rust.  Road salt cars rust from the bottom up...notice on that Florida car neither the fenders' trailing edges or door bottoms--notorious rust spots are rusted through like they would be from a New England or Midwest car.  

Morals: 

mike

Mike, in 1980 I moved from S(al)t. Louis to Houston, and brought along my first 2002, a 1972 Agave. If I listened closely, I could hear the rockers being gnawed away by southern rust weevil. A T-boning Ford pickup put it out of its misery two years later. Rust in peace...

• Like 1

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

This car looks like it had it’s weekly wash with salt water since new!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car