• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift Lever Spinning?

TripE46

I've searched around a bit on this but didn't find anything definitive. I'm looking to get this knob from Black Forest Industries and in fiddling with the existing knob I noticed that the lever itself spins with little effort. Is that normal, or is something missing? If't is normal, is there any reasonable thing that can be done to stop it. I don't want to buy a knob with a logo/pattern on it if I'm going to constantly be centering it.

• Like 1

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

10 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

Perhaps you're missing some parts between the shift lever & ball cup:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/240441-how-do-i-remove-shifter-from-lower-shifter-part/

Thanks! I had come across this thread, but It doesn't look like any of those parts would stop it from spinning. I guess I ought to replace them all first.

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

When all the parts go together, the assembly is pretty tight.  Getting that bottom snap ring in place can be a bear, but it's doable.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

The rubber parts inside the shifter are a snug fit when new but get sloppy when old. Replacing the "cap" (p/n:25111205441) and "rubber ring" (p/n:23411666133) should tighten it up. They can be tight to assemble, do not use grease or silicone to make it easier or you will have the same problem you have now.

74 Golf

2 hours ago, FunkyLaneO said:

The rubber parts inside the shifter are a snug fit when new but get sloppy when old. Replacing the "cap" (p/n:25111205441) and "rubber ring" (p/n:23411666133) should tighten it up. They can be tight to assemble, do not use grease or silicone to make it easier or you will have the same problem you have now.

Awesome, thanks!

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

13 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

105 bucks for a shift knob, Lord just shoot me.

It's more like $140 with the BMW coin/4 speed pattern. All about the details for me. I bought the car 90% of the way I wanted it, just taking care of a few odds and ends.

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

If the shaft does spin, is it critical to fix it? 

As a coincidence spent the last hour or so cleaning off the goo/paint/dirt from the threads (dremel wire wheel finally did the trick) from my five speed shifter to fit my IE shift knob. During the process discovered that the shaft does spin, not easily, but it does spin. Just wondering if this is a sign of some future critical failure. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

I think this is why the original BMW shift knob was just plain, so if it turns/spins you don't really notice. Stick a 4 or 5 speed shift pattern on it (or BMW logo) and it annoys the proverbial out of you.

• Like 5

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Mine spins slowly too, every time I shift, even after I replaced the rubber bushing inside the upper lever.  My cars now have the original wooden knob without the Roundel.  I’m with Les.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

5 hours ago, 02Les said:

I think this is why the original BMW shift knob was just plain, so if it turns/spins you don't really notice. Stick a 4 or 5 speed shift pattern on it (or BMW logo) and it annoys the proverbial out of you.

That makes sense. It doesn't bother me when shifting but it is noticeable. Probably leave it as is or look for a weighted knob with no logo/pattern. The inside of my car is all business (felt covered sheet metal for door cards) so I'm trying to keep with the theme. I just want a heavier knob thats a little more ergonomic.

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow