• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift Lever Spinning?

TripE46

27 minutes ago, TripE46 said:

I just want a heavier knob that's a little more ergonomic.

may I suggest a glass door knob?  :) 

017.thumb.JPG.6ad568cbd13aa625da01e108399635eb.JPG

Do you like golf?  ( 5 speed model )

112.thumb.JPG.a4bb4bdbdecf922e0d9e178604c7829b.JPG

edit:

I actually use the door knob.  I appreciate the added weight and length.  That photo makes it look extra tall.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 3

Some may not approve...but.

I too was once frustrated with my spinning, floppy, vague shifter feel. 

What solved my problem was to disassemble the shifter outside of the car (there's a snap-ring, some rubber bushings, etc in there.) clean everything, partially reassemble the top-most bushings, and then proceed to fill the upper cone with 2-part flexible epoxy before reassembling the lower shift assembly, final bushings, and locking snap ring. 

Leave it in a vice, with your shift knob properly oriented and.... PRESTO CHANGE-O! You now have a positive feeling, notchy, direct, and... dare I say.. Sportive shifting experience!*

*DISCLAIMER- Scoob is not responsible for you making any modifications to your vehicle that might be considered 'hack' to some, but 'genius' to him. Any perceived loss of value to 'originality sticklers' that enjoy floppy spinner shifters is not my responsibility. Descriptors such as 'notchy' 'direct' 'positive' and 'Sportive' are fully dependent upon the condition of your transmission prior to the described modification. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

Some may not approve...but.

I too was once frustrated with my spinning, floppy, vague shifter feel. 

What solved my problem was to disassemble the shifter outside of the car (there's a snap-ring, some rubber bushings, etc in there.) clean everything, partially reassemble the top-most bushings, and then proceed to fill the upper cone with 2-part flexible epoxy before reassembling the lower shift assembly, final bushings, and locking snap ring. 

Leave it in a vice, with your shift knob properly oriented and.... PRESTO CHANGE-O! You now have a positive feeling, notchy, direct, and... dare I say.. Sportive shifting experience!*

*DISCLAIMER- Scoob is not responsible for you making any modifications to your vehicle that might be considered 'hack' to some, but 'genius' to him. Any perceived loss of value to 'originality sticklers' that enjoy floppy spinner shifters is not my responsibility. Descriptors such as 'notchy' 'direct' 'positive' and 'Sportive' are fully dependent upon the condition of your transmission prior to the described modification. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Hmm, I like this. What all are you ruining here by using the epoxy? The lever and whatever clips and bushings are in there? Just curious on what it would take to un-do that.

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

45 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Probably a torch, followed by new rubber innards and a fresh coat of paint on the shaft.

I think the 'soft mount' of the shaft was an attempt at vibration isolation.

Yep, the M10 doesn't have a balance shaft and they wanted to isolate the shift lever to reduce vibration as well as shock to your hand when shifting. The soft rubber shift knob helps, too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TripE46 said:

Hmm, I like this. What all are you ruining here by using the epoxy? The lever and whatever clips and bushings are in there? Just curious on what it would take to un-do that.

Likely ruining the possibility of ever pullin' the thing apart again. 

As mentioned, you'd prolly have to torch it. It happened at a time when I'd given W&N so much of my money and spent so much time ordering and waiting on little bits and bobs t do things 'right', I just wanted to put my car back together and drive.

So it was one of those "meh' why not?" sorta things that just ended up being a laughably good solution. 

So far...

3 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

Likely ruining the possibility of ever pullin' the thing apart again. 

As mentioned, you'd prolly have to torch it. It happened at a time when I'd given W&N so much of my money and spent so much time ordering and waiting on little bits and bobs t do things 'right', I just wanted to put my car back together and drive.

So it was one of those "meh' why not?" sorta things that just ended up being a laughably good solution. 

So far...

Gotcha, but you could still remove the whole thing from under the car, you'd just be looking at a full shifter replacement down to the cup, correct?

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

8 minutes ago, TripE46 said:

Gotcha, but you could still remove the whole thing from under the car, you'd just be looking at a full shifter replacement down to the cup, correct?

This might be an early vs late difference but my shifter installs from the top with a snap ring. Under the car you need to disconnect the shifter from the shift rod but that's the same operation whether you've glued your shifter together or not. 

I think the upper part of the shifter has to come off if you want to replace the wear items around the ball pivot, so if you stick it together permanently, replace that stuff first.

Edited by Jimmy
All
  • Like 2