• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am currently looking into buying 2002 and taking my time over the next couple years hopefully restoring it to its original glory. I don’t have much car expierence myself, but have an uncle who’s skilled in this area willing to help. I was wondering what resources I should study and search before hand. I’ve heard about Macartneys and Haynes 2002 guides. Are these valuable resources b/c from the reviews opinions seem mixed. Also would love to know what to look for and what to avoid when searching for a car worthy of the project. Finally, what sort of tools will I need that aren’t for your everyday car project.

If you want to know about the early BMW’s you have come to the right place.

the question you ask is so elementary that it requires only searching and reading this site and it’s many forums.

some times you may find your google search starting with :

2002faq restoration tips

or other search terms 

my advice is in a nutshell is 

“don’t buy rusted or rusted repaired, skip modified cars”

start with a basic car

3 minutes ago, West Palm 2002 said:

If you want to know about the early BMW’s you have come to the right place.

the question you ask is so elementary that it requires only searching and reading this site and it’s many forums.

some times you may find your google search starting with :

2002faq restoration tips

or other search terms 

my advice is in a nutshell is 

“don’t buy rusted or rusted repaired, skip modified cars”

start with a basic car

Thank you! Would you recommend the guide books?

rule #1

Spend every cent you can on the absolute best car you can find. Consider buying something as close to your final restoration as you can afford. 

Then you can save up for all the rest of the restoration. 

Anything you compromise on the car you end up buying (looking for a beater or something needing obvious work) will cost you much more in the long run.

Someone said "There are only $20k cars. You can spend 20K up front or you can buy a $5K car and put $15k into it."

Do as I say, not as I do. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LanceC29 said:

Thank you! Would you recommend the guide books?

Yes, absolutely. The McCartney book should be read from cover to cover several times before viewing any 02’s to buy (even then, take your Uncle). 

The Haynes manual will be a useful reference when actually working on the car. This duplicates much of the info to be found in the BMW shop binders (which are also available in PDF on this site by the way). Haynes manuals are typically a bit easier to follow and it is worth owning one even if you only use it to scope out works in advance and decide they are beyond your skill set. 

Anyway, welcome to the site. Come back soon with pictures!

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 hours ago, theNomad said:

rule #1

Spend every cent you can on the absolute best car you can find. Consider buying something as close to your final restoration as you can afford. 

Then you can save up for all the rest of the restoration. 

Anything you compromise on the car you end up buying (looking for a beater or something needing obvious work) will cost you much more in the long run.

+1

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

Buy a well kept, well restored, no rust, roundie non-tii. Drive it. Tinker. Be happy.

You won't save money DIY, especially if you're new at it.

Trust us.

It’s not about saving money or I’d just buy a restored one. It’s the learning experience and the feeling at the end looking at something I put the work into

That's great Lance. Going in with eyes wide open is the perfect way to go. I learned a ton doing mine. It took about  3 years and more money than I thought. This is fairly typical, especially the money part.

We're all here to help. This forum will become invaluable to you. Good luck!

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

2 hours ago, LanceC29 said:

It’s not about saving money or I’d just buy a restored one. It’s the learning experience and the feeling at the end looking at something I put the work into

That's great. If you're interested in reference material, you might consider a paid membership to the forum. The free information here and the near-immediate help from forum members is worth more than what any other manual, class, or Google search can offer.

Edited by Jimmy
Never mind
  • Like 2

Later cars are easier to get parts for but if you are in California, a 76 car is subject to emissions testing while 75 and earlier are not subject to emissions testing. If you are in any other state you can buy 76 or earlier and probably wont have emissions testing problems.

Square tail light cars are generally cheaper. Almost everything can easily be tinkered with at home except paint and bodywork. Try to find a car with minimal rust. Cutting out rust once it has taken root is a real pain and expensive....

If you are in a hot state, finding a car with a AC console is a plus (Working or not working, doesn't matter, just find the AC console saves a ton of work later)

Tired engines run just fine with a little love, so no need to build the engine right away. 

• Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.