• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:19 PM, theNomad said:

rule #1

Spend every cent you can on the absolute best car you can find.

Do as I say, not as I do. :)

Good rule with some caveats.

I get the most joy out of the continuous improvement of my '73 base model w/ a 5 speed. It's a solid shell with lots of surface rust, but the only rust-through being in the spare tire well. I look forward to thinking about what to fix next. Rebuild & re-jet carb w/ sync-link, install 123ignition dizzy, make the turn signals work, fix the horn, repair the seat belts, replace the exhaust, strip & rebuild the door hardware, electric fuel pump, rebuild the seats, install additional gauges in console, the list goes on and on.

For me it was about finding a solid-enough car that I could drive while enjoying the improvement process. I made sure my brakes were in good shape and that the car wouldn't die in the middle of traffic, or some part of the body and/or suspension collapse. I'm never going to turn a profit, or even come near to breaking even on this car, but that's not what it is about for me. I also get a good feeling knowing I've kept a perhaps marginal car from going to the graveyard. I don't think I'll ever paint the car, just continue to improve the performance, reliability and comfort. I get many comments about all the patina (yes I know that word is over-used). Numerous people have said something along the lines of "thanks for keeping that on the road!" or "wow - I had one like that!". People seem more willing to strike up a conversation about a car that is not pristine for some reason. These are great, easy cars to work on, a fantastic first classic car experience.

Do what makes sense for you!

M

Edited by man_mark_7
typo
  • Like 3

On 3/31/2019 at 8:19 PM, theNomad said:

Someone said "There are only $20k cars. You can spend 20K up front or you can buy a $5K car and put $15k into it."

So true...  Paid $5500 for Survivor 706. 3 months later I'm into it about $4000 and that's just mechanicals from nose to firewall so far.

IMG_7526.JPG

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Welcome, this site is one of the best online forums for ANY car, period.  

You've got some good reading material, and there are a number of great threads in the "Project Archive" section if you want visual stimuli.

It was once said that the BMW 2002 is the Labrador of the euro car world.  I think that's a good summation.