• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your driving lamps

Simeon

On 4/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Although your fog lights look vulnerable dangling out there.

Tom,

That’s probably because they are vulnerable dangling out there. I wasn’t joking when I said I’d tried lots of arrangements and smashed lots of lights. Over time, my above-the-bumper lights have crept backwards and inward until they are tight against my grilles, and my under-the-bumper lights have also crept backwards and inward in an effort to avoid high curbs and other things that “stick up” on dark nights!

I still parallel park my cars, including the ‘02’s. I gather — based on the number of auxiliary lights that have actually replaced bumpers at the prows of these ships — that many ‘02’s live places, or see only use, where parallel parking is rare. From too many years of urban living, however, whether on the street or in a parking garage, parking is strictly by touch. Bumper-less is not an option. I suppose your stealth lights, behind the grille, would help in some scenarios, but I’d rather that that jacked up F-250 smash my Cibies and grilles than my hood.... ?

I actually keep the covers on a lot to protect from parking damage. So...let’s see how my current configuration fares over the next few years... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 4/4/2019 at 12:43 PM, 1936spyder said:

Never thought I'd see another! Just like mine-

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I ran around Berkeley and Palo Alto in the 90s so just didn’t cross paths...

The brotherhood of the “square 8” ...  (that isn’t square ha ha)

trivia: also find these on Shelby Mustangs

• Like 1

I ran around Berkeley and Palo Alto in the 90s so just didn’t cross paths...
The brotherhood of the “square 8” ...  (that isn’t square ha ha)
trivia: also find these on Shelby Mustangs
Yes, they were original equipment on '68-'70 Shelby Mustangs & '68 GT/CS's, although early '68's used rectangular Marchals.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

8 hours ago, MattL said:

Mine are just Hella 500s, mainly there to cover up the holes left when I excised my diving board. But I like the look, and love the POWAH. Also, 1-1/4" aluminum tubing fits perfectly in the rubber sheathes left behind by the bumper mounts, which made mounting the lights a cinch. Got the inspiration from Nomad's blog. 

oonJ4tWp5hBaHBcKAli2EKAyAKdnZop6bEtkN5QJ

This looks great - I'm hoping to do basically the same thing to my bumper-deleted car. Do you have any pics of what the brackets look like before they were installed? Or is it really just as simple as a straight piece of 1.25" tubing jammed into the stock bumper mounting holes, with a light attached to the end of it? I'm holding out hope that I won't have to much more than buy some tubing, cut it to length, and drill a few holes as needed...

21 hours ago, jlb said:

This looks great - I'm hoping to do basically the same thing to my bumper-deleted car. Do you have any pics of what the brackets look like before they were installed? Or is it really just as simple as a straight piece of 1.25" tubing jammed into the stock bumper mounting holes, with a light attached to the end of it? I'm holding out hope that I won't have to much more than buy some tubing, cut it to length, and drill a few holes as needed...

Thanks! Yeah, that’s pretty much all there is to it. I’ll try to get some close-up photos when I get back in town, but my general approach was to ditch the swivel mount that came with the lights entirely. That meant cutting out some notches in the aluminum for the “hole” part of the light base to fit into, then drilling through for the “pin” bolt. To mount to the car, the aluminum really did fit snugly in the rubber sleeve. Once I got it cut to length, i just used the existing mounting bolt holes in the engine bay (one per side) to mark the aluminum for the mounting bolt holes. Beyond that, I just spray painted them black and filed a notch in each “pin” hole (so the bolt would fit snugly and not spin). Easy peasy. If I’d had the budget for those beautiful Koogleworks mounts (look them up if you haven’t seen them) I would have just done that. But this was easy, dirt cheap, and came out well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Conserv:

Nice Cibies, been a fan for years.

Used to sell them in the late 70, had them on all my cars.

Very high quality. I am quite sure the Cibie conversions are no longer the original cut off style like they used to be, that's what i recently heard from Daniel Stern.

BTW, if doing the conversions the city light option is a really cool inexpensive option.

G. Hamilton

North of Boston

'74 02 - Former Cali car

13 hours ago, Roverguy said:

...I am quite sure the Cibie conversions are no longer the original cut off style like they used to be, that's what i recently heard from Daniel Stern....

+1

I agree, and use Daniel for all my bulb needs. Both ‘02s’ headlights, driving lights, and fog lights are all period pieces, not modern. Only the bulbs are recent.

Of these, only the Z Beams are actually rare in their period form. But NOS examples of the original Z Beams are out there. Even among the NOS examples, however, you’ve got to examine the lights carefully to ensure the lights still have highly-reflective reflectors: storage in damp conditions generally leads to material degradation of the reflectors.

The original Z Beam is an amazingly good light. With a high-quality (55W) bulb, the performance is so good that the first car I owned with better headlights than the Z Beams was a 2002 Audi A6 I ordered with factory xenon lights. If you’re not running xenons or LED’s, original Z Beams are the way to go!

(And that is why Tom, a.k.a., ‘76mintgrun’02, gave me a Z Beam image to use as my avatar...?)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 4/5/2019 at 10:54 PM, jlb said:

Okay, Jib, here are a few more shots of my brackets. Not too much to them. 

Sp2Vod7w-A56kW4kPtdnH_pEnk50fUaTtUemwjtg

yZV-d-BCz5v1B87ONBYNME7Zxigj-ebrCRAKiOXy

_VnLr0mvRahyHxQbCXDxVDSToeadeTzxv8DPc4rf

• Thanks 1

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Old bumper that already had holes, Cibie Oscar's 2 driving 2 fog on the outside with stabilizers through the grill and attached to the radiator support brackets. 1 hole was drilled (ouch).

Andrew

IMAG0917.jpg

• Like 3

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

• 4 weeks later...

So, just to round this out I thought that I would post what I got. I am looking out for some nice period correct lights but in the mean time I have fitted these Maxtel lamps. They look like Cibie Oscars, are made of stainless steel but only set me back $49.99!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F300617497240

I mounted these via the holes already drilled in my bumper. The stone guards looked a bit cheesy with the Maxtel logos but the screen printing literally wiped off when I sprayed some carb cleaner on them. Might get some SEV Marchal stickers or similar to put on them (until the real thing falls into my lap!)

8FF14E78-A552-4606-BF45-F4ACB99EC751.thumb.jpeg.cae403878c94cc7998c45bdbf90f353d.jpeg26AA7336-E9A4-464B-8917-AD9FD2B85C02.thumb.jpeg.6abc5f50bb137ea72527ea302fe0ff9c.jpeg53E7EB09-ADE6-4FAE-AD05-E7786ABD9D3F.thumb.jpeg.27b515aebc10719e898fb18d72779a16.jpeg

• Like 5

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/