• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installation of Pig Cheeks

PigCheeks

Hello,

I have a set of pig cheek flares that I'd like to install but have no idea where to start. The fronts look pretty straight forward but I am rather stumped on the rears. I am hoping someone has some knowledge to share as to how I can make this possible.

Cheers

heh.

Start with a search for 'flare installation'-  it doesn't matter what kind of flares you

have, installation is pretty similar for all of them.  The cliff- note version is:

Chop off old metal fenders

Fiberglass on new flared fender overs

Figure out some way to keep road debris out of car.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

These are the IE Alpina style Pigcheeks.  Bonded on with 3m body adhesive, used rivets to hold until the adhesive set. Obviously some body work after mounting.  And filling in the fender gap left as a result of the flare. And as you can see from the right quarter picture eliminated the fuel filler opening due to fuel cell. Are you planning on a bigger wheel tire combination ?

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

• Like 3

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

It’s a slippery slope & a there are many wrong ways (and even a few “right” ways!) to go about the endeavor. You will have to fabricate panels to tie the rear quarters back into the inner fender/trunk area...requires some sheet metal skill and welding...there are a few threads that document the process on here...(a thorough search is probably a good place to start) 

then mock-up/measure with lots of “points of reference” before making that first cut! 

(& be prepared to spend more than you’d expect at the Paint/body shop, post-install) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RussTii said:

These are the IE Alpina style Pigcheeks.  Bonded on with 3m body adhesive, used rivets to hold until the adhesive set. Obviously some body work after mounting.  And filling in the fender gap left as a result of the flare. And as you can see from the right quarter picture eliminated the fuel filler opening due to fuel cell. Are you planning on a bigger wheel tire combination ?

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Wow, is this yours? I love it. I'm not sure of my wheel combination yet. I just know that I love the look of pig cheeks on an 02 so I decided to pick up a set. I've had them for a long time now because I'm pretty nervous on cutting up the rears.

6 hours ago, Forrest_KoogleWerks said:

It’s a slippery slope & a there are many wrong ways (and even a few “right” ways!) to go about the endeavor. You will have to fabricate panels to tie the rear quarters back into the inner fender/trunk area...requires some sheet metal skill and welding...there are a few threads that document the process on here...(a thorough search is probably a good place to start) 

then mock-up/measure with lots of “points of reference” before making that first cut! 

(& be prepared to spend more than you’d expect at the Paint/body shop, post-install) 

I guess I'm not good at using the search function. I have been researching on the forum for a while and couldn't find any threads about installation of pig cheeks.

it doesn't matter what kind of flares you

have, installation is pretty similar for all of them

t

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

18 hours ago, TobyB said:

it doesn't matter what kind of flares you

have, installation is pretty similar for all of them. 

Heh. Turbo flares and pig cheeks flares have similar installation? Not really. Box flares? Yeah. So actually it does matter. For pig cheeks you’re cutting a significant amount of the rear more than you would for a turbo flare.

PigCheeks, check your inbox. I sent you a guide for installation.

4BDD4B0C-40DE-4C72-B7E7-D8700F573404.jpeg

E6FDBFA5-6538-463E-BFD8-00F82DBA7CBF.jpeg

545A9546-2643-4D0A-8A1D-F6279666B172.jpeg

41F0BB31-7416-4303-9954-7703E68C50B4.jpeg

Edited by 68BMW02
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, 68BMW02 said:

Turbo flares and pig cheeks flares have similar installation? Not really. Box flares? Yeah.

I'm sure Toby was alluding to Box or Pigs only.

Turbo flares obviously are on the Easy-Peasy/ less impactful side of the spectrum. 

Love me some boxes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 68BMW02 said:

For pig cheeks you’re cutting a significant amount of the rear more than you would for a turbo flare.

Nope. At least I've never ever before seen it done like you did. For turbos in the rear one cuts and whelds about the same as for boxes or cheeks normally, just as Toby said.

Except maybe of some late and very big boxes for race cars.

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina
  • Like 1

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

5 hours ago, 68BMW02 said:

Heh. Turbo flares and pig cheeks flares have similar installation? Not really. Box flares? Yeah. So actually it does matter. For pig cheeks you’re cutting a significant amount of the rear more than you would for a turbo flare.

PigCheeks, check your inbox. I sent you a guide for installation.

Don't put anything heavy in your trunk.

Actually, don't put anything at all in your trunk...

t

• Like 4

Here are some photo's of my Alpina Gr. 2 car.  After the car was raced by Alpina it sold to a privateer who changed the body work from the special Alpina 'box' flares to Schnitzer Gr. 5 (Schnitzer 1.4 turbo).  They cut the holy f*&ck out of the body.  Absolutely brutal.  We basically put an entire rear clip on the car.  There was nothing in back of the rear wheel well AND very little in front of it.  It all got put back, front and back.  I could be wrong, but in my mind it has to add some rigidity back into the chassis.  In the case of my car there is a fabricated (steel) inner arch extension that ties the inside of the flare to the body AND closes that area.  I don't believe the pig cheeks have body lines in them (???).  Both front flares and rear flares on my car do, and those body lines had to carefully match up with the body line in the door.  Its very subtle but would look wonky if you messed it up.  In a very few places rivets were used (very few), pretty much every thing is secured with panel adhesive with the help of cleco's holding them in place. These were very difficult to install for a variety of reasons. This sequence of pics should tell the story pretty well.  Matt McGinn has done many (many) of these cars, would be a good resource although most of what he has been doing are his hand fabricated steel pig cheeks that are welded on.

277964766.jpg

277965071.jpg

302591848.jpg

317312076.jpg

324663175.jpg

002.JPG

009.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 016.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 018.JPG

alpina 3-31-2017 008.JPG

imauuuuxy.php.jpg

• Like 3

Don't want to highjack the thread (but, I wish it 'was' over, but it isn't...…)  Soon though I think.

I don't see the need to remove metal in front of the pig cheek, seems like the simplest thing to do would be to add the metal extension piece to the wheel well.  Street car/Race car, you don't want any openings inside where water, rocks, mud etc., can accumulate + as Toby suggested, if its just fiberglass anything that gets loose inside the trunk is going to put the hurt on that part of the fender.  I had a couple of small areas that I needed to close off, I used several layers of fiberglass to neatly do that.

I dug this out of Matt McGuinn's flicker album, he makes hand formed pig cheeks, the idea of what you have to do is essentially the same.  No idea what actually did (probably not this?), what he is doing is top notch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29110923@N05/albums/72157632016531989

• Like 2