• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installation of Pig Cheeks

PigCheeks

36 minutes ago, irdave said:

That looks like a LOT of tire.

And looks like a Toby approved Trunk...

• Haha 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

5 hours ago, markmac said:

Going to run the car this way, 'buggy style'....Toby approved.  Wheels were 13x15, now 11x15 (didn't quite fit right under the flare at 13").

It would save some weight, that’s for sure! ?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I found only a few pics of my last project installing the extra wide pig cheeks to a fiends car after a crash. I glue the pig cheeks to the chassis with sikaflex 240 or similar stuff and then there are a few steps laminating the cheek to the chassis. I do it this way since years and this is perfect.

20180106_150035 (Large).jpg

20180106_150059 (Large).jpg

20180106_150109 (Large).jpg

20180115_191005 (Large).jpg

20180115_191016 (Large).jpg

Juegen Stavelot.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, whs.de said:

I found only a few pics of my last project installing the extra wide pig cheeks to a fiends car after a crash. I glue the pig cheeks to the chassis with sikaflex 240 or similar stuff and then there are a few steps laminating the cheek to the chassis. I do it this way since years and this is perfect.

20180106_150035 (Large).jpg

20180106_150059 (Large).jpg

20180106_150109 (Large).jpg

20180115_191005 (Large).jpg

20180115_191016 (Large).jpg

Juegen Stavelot.jpg

Would love to know more of your process if you're willing to share :)

Wolle can answer … in short, the metal quarter is prepped (based on whatever panel adhesive you are using per their directions), in the case of my car only where the surface of the fiberglass flare is touching the steel quarter panel, the rest was left in epoxy primer.  The panel and the quarter are drilled every couple of inches, and cleco pins are used to hold the two surfaces together.  Once the two are joined, cleco's are removed and he glasses over the area with resin and fiberglass mat, final step is sanding the rough stuff out of the fiberglass/mat, then skim coating with filler.....prime, paint.  It is a fair amount of work really.

Wolle, let me know what I missed.... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markmac said:

Wolle can answer … in short, the metal quarter is prepped (based on whatever panel adhesive you are using per their directions), in the case of my car only where the surface of the fiberglass flare is touching the steel quarter panel, the rest was left in epoxy primer.  The panel and the quarter are drilled every couple of inches, and cleco pins are used to hold the two surfaces together.  Once the two are joined, cleco's are removed and he glasses over the area with resin and fiberglass mat, final step is sanding the rough stuff out of the fiberglass/mat, then skim coating with filler.....prime, paint.  It is a fair amount of work really. 

Wolle, let me know what I missed.... 

Thanks Mark for my answer :-)

There is not much more to say! Except.... a big advantage of this method is, you need not much putty and the danger of cracking is low.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:12 AM, whs.de said:

Thanks Mark for my answer ?

There is not much more to say! Except.... a big advantage of this method is, you need not much putty and the danger of cracking is low.

This looks like the way to go