• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 woes

I've pulled my getrag 245 5 speed out of my 73 tii and am now in a pickle looking for parts. The output flange needs to be replaced.  A 3 bolt 22 spline version  part no 23211209612. and I wanted to redo the syncro on second gear.  My transmission guy told me to source a whole second gear with syncro sleeve and ring.  So far only the ring is available. I found the flange on ebay, but I believe I've been hosed with it coming from egypt and no responses from the seller. Talked to Jim at Metric Mechanical yesterday and he sounds like he knows what he's doing with his ultimat transmission but it costs 3k USD with a 1k core deposit. A little out of my league as I'm doing a subaru conversion on my vw transporter.  So debating on just putting the tranny back in with that double clutch second gear situ but I need to find an output flange.  Does anyone out there in 2002 land know of any, used or new? Does 2002AD have any of these?  Will try calling them today.

Roman

IMG_2790.JPG

Can't you remove your old output flange, and deliver your chosen machinist that to quote/duplicate? seems the easier path. 

I'd like to see the part separated from the trans, but I'm thinking the only machining hurdle would be cutting internal splines, if it's indeed splined and not keyed. If it's keyed, easy peasy!

The best COA would be to find a good/new replacement.  Failing that, though, coupla thoughts:

• Wouldn't the 3 ear flange from an E21 4 speed work?  Those should be much more available than the 5 speeds.  Or even from a 5 speed from an 84 or 85 E30 318? Same tranny as the E21 5 speed except no speedo drive, so you might be able to source a good synchro from one of those.  
  • A good welding shop should be able to repair those wallered out mounting holes so that a machine shop can re-drill 'em.  We have shops here in Dayton that do some pretty amazing machine work (like repairing/rebuilding a six foot diameter, cast iron gear from an 1865--originally steam operated--punch press.) 

BTW, how did that happen?  I've not seen a flange boogered up that badly.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wouldn't the 3 ear flange from an E21 4 speed work? 

They might, if the E21 4- speed didn't have a 4- bolt flange...  it's a fine spline forging, that's pretty darn tough- I don't think you're going to have much luck

making one from scratch.  Rewelding what you have might be a viable repair, tho.

This is why you torque the hell out of the guibo bolts, and also don't let the guibo get too badly checked.

The parts for these boxes are pretty much done, now.  A few synchro rings might be floating around still, but

that's about all.  They're a victim of their own success- they never needed any repair for so long, there was no

demand for the parts...  and no demand= no supply, right?

That said, a post in the WTB section might find you one...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ya it was from egyautopart.  Good to hear that it wasn't a sham. Its a three bolt flange with a 22 spline.  Heading to pick up tranny today.  Will post photo of removed part.  I reused the lock nuts after replacing the guibo.  One came loose and the second started to loosen making the hole an oval. I learned my lesson. Replace them every time they come off.