• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone watching the Colorado 02 on BAT?

Tdh

10 hours ago, roman.lysiak said:

Stopped looking at that website a while ago. Think their prices are absolutely dumb. Should be called being a bank draft... and not bring a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think “their” prices are “absolutely dumb?” Umm...It’s an auction site. The prices are determined by the offers of competing bidders (i.e. the prospective BUYERS), not by any figure set by Bring-a-Trailer (their bidding activity starts at ZERO). If you want to stamp your foot about the market reality, that’s fine if it makes you feel better...but don’t blame it on an auction website, that’s just not very astute! Things are worth what people will pay for them. 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, COOP said:

You think “their” prices are “absolutely dumb?” Umm...It’s an auction site. The prices are determined by the offers of competing bidders (i.e. the prospective BUYERS), not by any figure set by Bring-a-Trailer (their bidding activity starts at ZERO). If you want to stamp your foot about the market reality, that’s fine if it makes you feel better...but don’t blame it on an auction website, that’s just not very astute! Things are worth what people will pay for them. 

Here on faq, the coin of the realm is shared experiences of revivals on a budget. Often times you watch a entry member purchase a 

car with rust and all parts worn out. The eventual total costs are

never discussed here. 

The savy buyer knows the expenses of restoring and values the original.

02Les, you just nailed the essence of an auction, be it BaT, eBay or a live auction at RM, Barrett-Jackson, etc. An auction counts spontaneity, emotional engagement, adrenaline and the love of competing among its allures for those who participate. Many of the people who bid actually enjoy the format and find “the game” a compelling attraction in itself. While it may be hard for some to conceive, getting the lowest price possible isn’t all that important for these buyers; it doesn’t make them dumb, it just makes them a different kind of consumer.

When you say that they could have had the car for less money “awhile back,” that again hits the essence of auction buyers. Their buying actions (bids whether winning or not) occur in a finite, emotional moment in time; in other words, it’s quite possible that the BaT buyers in this auction were emotionally switched-off when the car was listed on CL, even if they were aware of it...but now they’re ready to play.

I generally avoid auctions because I just don’t have that bug. Plus, I prefer dealing through relationships when possible, it’s just more meaningful to me. But I do get why some are drawn to  that whole environment and don’t fault them for it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, COOP said:

When you say that they could have had the car for less money “awhile back,” that again hits the essence of auction buyers. Their buying actions (bids whether winning or not) occur in a finite, emotional moment in time; in other words, it’s quite possible that the BaT buyers in this auction were emotionally switched-off when the car was listed on CL, even if they were aware of it...but now they’re ready to play.

I think of auction bidding and buying as almost a sport.  Because there is the competitive element.  There is a one-upmanship element, too (at least in some of the cases, I would think).  

For sellers, BAT has this great thing going where the digital peanut gallery eggs people on, on occasion.  Stoking the competitive fire.  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

On 4/7/2019 at 12:04 AM, COOP said:

I found mine on there! It didn't meet reserve but I hashed out a deal and even after importing felt like I got a good deal as it was the 02 I've always dreamed of.

• Like 1

75' 1502 Agave Green

02' M3 Phoenix Yellow

46 minutes ago, saaron said:

I think of auction bidding and buying as almost a sport.  Because there is the competitive element.  There is a one-upmanship element, too (at least in some of the cases, I would think).  

I think it is as close to a sport as playing a slot machine is. You have no control over what other people bid and you still have a maximum price after which you will think you have paid too much. Thinking like this is why people over bid. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Looks like the auction ended at $24500.  Congrats to the seller!

I get that many of you don't like that the days of the dirt cheap '02 are gone, but it happens.  There are always deals to be found if you look hard enough.  A year ago, I bought a 240z for $1000.00 that hadn't run in 25 years.  It took me about 2 hours to get it running.  Needless to say I did well on the re-sale end.  At any rate, there will still be deals to be had on '02's.  

I happen to know a frequent bidder on BAT.  He's exactly what many of you described.  He's got more money than he can count, works his tail off 80-90 hours a week, and enjoys the thrill of the bidding process.  For him its a great way to relieve stress, and if he wins, he's got a toy to play with till he gets tired of it.

I'm not a fan of BAT either.  The few times I've sold a car there, I did well, but the peanut gallery is annoying!  Many are misinformed, or just obviously repeat things they read off the interweb.  If I ever meet that damned "wepreferpana..." douche in person, it'll be difficult for me to restrain the urge to Omoplata him!

• Like 3