• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like I need a new diff. 3.91 is the way to go, right?

MattL

In this, the latest installment of "Matt The Newbie's Carnival of Sounds" I learn the scraping sound coming from the passenger side of my 76 is my differential. Pinion bearing, to be precise. It would be a lot of work to rebuild, so I guess I'm in the market for an LSD a little earlier than expected. I still have the 4-speed transmission, but I hope to go to a 240 or 245 5-speed if I can find one in my area. 

I've searched the forum and read all the comparisons between the 3.64 and 3.91 ratios that I could find. Given the scarcity of these things, I don't know what I'll be able to find (and/or afford). Since I'm planning to go to a 5-speed at some point, though, it seems like the 3.91 is the one to search for, right?

Edited by MattL

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Not sure if a lsd diff. is necessary for street use. I had the impression the o2 was slower to accelerate at trafic lights after the 5sp swap.  So 3.91 is a good idea,  the lsd is up to your task with the o2.  3.91 open diff. should be easier to find,,  all the 320i with 5sp got them + 76 2oo2  

I have not put the open diff. on my car yet.  Personaly with Us 70' car that I had own that had lsd,  I had issue.  If you find a lsd 3.91 and can afford it GO for it .  The WOW !  factor will be priceless.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pierre² said:

I had the impression the o2 was slower to accelerate at trafic lights after the 5sp swap.

Gears 1-4 are the same in the 4-5 speeds.  Fifth gear is where the 3.9 ratio is useful with the 5 speed.

I do appreciate the grunty feel of the (open) 3.90 in my '76, in spite of the higher rpms at highway speeds with the stock 4 speed transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a MM 3.64 LSD in my ‘75 with a 5 speed XMSN and it does great.
The 3.64 keeps the rpm down at highway speeds.
It all depends on what you want to do with the car.

I take my car on long road trips where the 3.64 shines.

IF I was going to auto cross or track days a lot, I would install the 3.91 LSD and stick with the 4 speed. No need of the expense of going to the 5 speed XMSN for that usage. This gives you the acceleration of the ‘76 and keeps things simple.

The 3.91 with the 5 speed XMSN in 5th gear gives you approximately the same final drive ratio as the 4 speed with the 3.64 gears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

3.64 vs 3.90 and 4 speed vs 5 speed...

Depends on how you use your car and whether you're gonna install a 5 speed or stick with the 4 speed...

4 or 5 speed:  If you plan to take long trips in your '02, stick with the 3.64.  With a 3.91 diff and a 4 speed you're gonna be turning 4600 or so rpms at 70 mph (ca 110 kph); with a 5 speed you'll be back to approximately the same 4k in 5th at 70 as you would in 4th with a 3.64.

With a 5 speed and a 3.64, you'll be right at 3200 rpm at 70 in 5th.  It makes a significant difference in noise level and will increase your gas mileage a bit--but not enough to make economic sense unless you drive 20k miles/yr.   I have a 3.64 with a 5 speed since 2004 and like the combination a lot, as I do take long trips in my '02.  I've climbed some pretty steep grades on the WV Turnpike without having to downshift.  And cruising is much more relaxed at the lower rpm--I can actually hear my radio!

mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had the option recently to purchase a 323i euro LSD with the 3.45 that would be paired with my 4speed. I was curious if anyone had tried it, and was gunna ask about it, but the dude pulled outa' the trade. 

But I'm still curious... I wonder how much of a hit in acceleration I'd get, but then also for autobahn cruising at 150-160 kph+, it could be nice...

The 3.45 makes the 2-3 gap even more apparent.   And 

it's only an incremental gain.  But the gears are pretty

common in manual e36's, so it would be easy to try.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hi,

I have the 3.64 lsd and 5-speed, I find the 1-2 gap more painful than 2-3 but maybe it's because I am taking a standing start on a hill climb as the bar.. You wind the piss out of it in first on a hill (say a little over 6000), you're still landing at the bottom of the sweet spot on hp/torque in second gear because you lose speed against the hill and maybe I shift like a grandpa because I hate crunching gears. I don't generally do a power shift or burnout in second because I'm not in the engine's sweet spot after the shift. It's not a great combo for hard acceleration, but great as a tourer. The 3.91 is an attractive proposition... because the 5-speed is overgeared in 5th and not evenly spaced.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

usually stamped on the side of the cast iron case in large but shallowly stamped numbers with a separator. there are a lot of pictures and identification threads on faq already on this topic of using them.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

3 hours ago, mike said:

3.64 vs 3.90 and 4 speed vs 5 speed...

Depends on how you use your car and whether you're gonna install a 5 speed or stick with the 4 speed...

4 or 5 speed:  If you plan to take long trips in your '02, stick with the 3.64.  With a 3.91 diff and a 4 speed you're gonna be turning 4600 or so rpms at 70 mph (ca 110 kph); with a 5 speed you'll be back to approximately the same 4k in 5th at 70 as you would in 4th with a 3.64.

With a 5 speed and a 3.64, you'll be right at 3200 rpm at 70 in 5th.  It makes a significant difference in noise level and will increase your gas mileage a bit--but not enough to make economic sense unless you drive 20k miles/yr.   I have a 3.64 with a 5 speed since 2004 and like the combination a lot, as I do take long trips in my '02.  I've climbed some pretty steep grades on the WV Turnpike without having to downshift.  And cruising is much more relaxed at the lower rpm--I can actually hear my radio!

mike

Mike, are you sure about your numbers?  Reason I ask, and please validate my thinking, a 5 Speed overdrive has a 5th of .81 final drive gear, which I believe puts the 3.91 down in the low 3's as it pertains to final ratio.  All the math I do puts a car with this combination at 70MPH in the 3000-3300 RPM range.  Others on the forum can validate my thinking but I know that's the case for my car with that combo.  So when I saw your 4K at 70 comment, I thought something just doesn't add up there.

thoughts?

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 69Bimmer02 said:

70MPH in the 3000-3300 RPM range

Calc - 76.7 mph @ 3500 rpm, 3.90 diff gears and 23.2 tire diameter.

Tach as inaccurate as it is reads about 75 mph @ 3500 rpm for me

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.