• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking a little bit of oil from my valve cover bolts

Sahara

Noticed this recently, after hard driving I'll get a very thin but noticeable film of oil on and around my valve cover bolts, especially the bottom left (near the "4" sparkplug label). I suspect this means either my valve cover gasket is wearing out or the bolts are loose (they're not loose to the hand, but I haven't put a wrench on them) or some combination of the two. I'm not that worried and will probably continue to drive like this until anything gets notably worse but I'm just checking to see if I should be more concerned. 

Ah.  I like using a socket on a screwdriver style handle and just giving it a good 'squeeze'.  I do it just for good measure every once in a while, to make sure they are all still similarly tight.

I do the same to the screws on the top of the carb and the nuts that hold the carb down.

Same thing on hose clamps.  Just a quick once over every so often.

I have been using the same valve cover gasket since I installed it seven years ago and it still seems fine.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

Presume you're using the OEM style wave lock washers under the bolt heads (not split lock washers) and are tightening the bolts in a criss-cross pattern as you would do with head bolts:

3                              1                      5

6                              2                      4

You might also check the valve cover for flatness.  A PO may have gotten a little enthusiastic with his wrench on those 6mm nuts and overtightened the cover, warping it slightly.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

14 hours ago, Sahara said:

Noticed this recently, after hard driving I'll get a very thin but noticeable film of oil on and around my valve cover bolts...

You might also check the breather on your valve cover, make sure it's not blocked. -KB

If the gasket is any good, it seals around each stud/bolt.  No special nuts required, just for show.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

9 minutes ago, jimk said:

If the gasket is any good, it seals around each stud/bolt.  No special nuts required, just for show.

9 minutes ago, jimk said:

If the washers are too thin, the cap nuts will not compress the gasket sufficiently.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

4 hours ago, ray_ said:

If the washers are too thin, the cap nuts will not compress the gasket sufficiently.

If the studs are too tall, you mean?

I use old Volvo nuts on mine, since I like the broader flange at the base; compared to the naked BMW nuts.  No washers under them.

055.thumb.JPG.e14a20336eada6cb911fd122a85e4c0e.JPG054.thumb.JPG.68d9add6701d08e32936e9e97ea49b61.JPG

EDIT, adding wave washers under the nuts today to protect the soft aluminum.  I am opening it up again to seal the upper timing chain cover for the third time.  Ultra-black this time, dammit.  

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

I learned a tip years ago:  I put a light coat of wheel bearing grease on the valve cover gasket in that area around the "4" spark plug.  No more oil weeps, and it doesn't require a serious tightening of that particular cap nut.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 2