• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

T50 Remote Servo - Brake Booster

Slavs

The T50 Remote Servo - Brake Booster was used on the 1966-68 BMW 1600-2 and most Right Hand Drive 02s. The RHD cars with twin circuit brakes were equipped with two such units. The unit on my 67 failed, and I'm looking for a place in the US, preferably in California, which can rebuild it. I have a couple of extra units, but there are issues with them. The one which appears in best shape has a stripped thread for the brake line. The T50 remote servo - booster is also used by some Mercedes cars from the era and possibly Alfa's, although those units are not a direct fit for BMW. Rebuild kits are next to impossible to find. Yes, I can install the more familiar modern 2002 brake booster as I have all the parts including the newer pedal box, but I like the old arrangement because the engine compartment is less cramped. Does anybody have a decent one or know of a place which rebuilds them ?

T50 Remote Brake Servo - Booster.jpg

Slavs, I removed my remote booster years ago and put on the 2002 setup. I still have the booster in storage diassembled. I am quite certain that there are no stripped threads on it. If you want all of it or just parts let me. I won't be using it anymore.

Mercedes got Teves/ATE to remanufacture them, price is eye watering...

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSite/en/instance/ko/New-T50-brake-booster-for-Mercedes-Benz-classics.xhtml?oid=9913448

Iruna brakes makes a servo of almost identical dimensions that's almost a bolt-on replacement, except it uses UNF instead of metric unions. Reasonable price in Europe, dunno if they have US disti.

http://irunabrakes.com

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I’d bet that White Post Restorations can rebuild them: they do virtually any brake parts.

But brake booster rebuilding is the norm among the many over-50-year-old cars and I’d bet there are lots of good rebuilders out there. Check Hemmings’ “services” listings or Google “brake booster rebuild”.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for all the input. The Mercedes brake booster is not a direct fit, and if it was, I'd never pay the $2,500 Euros or whatever they are asking for it. As for the RHD cars, the part number is showing up as the same number, although I've noticed there are two different sizes used for the slave ( 18mm and 22mm). I'll contact the local shop near LA and take it from there. Attempting to repair a stripped thread on the slave cylinder on one of my spare units may be next to impossible as this is a critical brake component. IF all else fails, I'll remove the pedal box and install the more modern one along with the newer style booster, but this will require bending and / or installing new brake lines, which is quite a job. There is little or next to no support from BMW with regards to the early 02s (The early 1600-2s) and NK cars. I've noticed this over the years.

Slavs

1 hour ago, Slavs said:

Thanks for all the input. The Mercedes brake booster is not a direct fit, and if it was, I'd never pay the $2,500 Euros or whatever they are asking for it. As for the RHD cars, the part number is showing up as the same number, although I've noticed there are two different sizes used for the slave ( 18mm and 22mm). I'll contact the local shop near LA and take it from there. Attempting to repair a stripped thread on the slave cylinder on one of my spare units may be next to impossible as this is a critical brake component. IF all else fails, I'll remove the pedal box and install the more modern one along with the newer style booster, but this will require bending and / or installing new brake lines, which is quite a job. There is little or next to no support from BMW with regards to the early 02s (The early 1600-2s) and NK cars. I've noticed this over the years.

Slavs

FYI

Jaymic (UK) has the reman Servo/Booster for around $340 + shipping. Which is a good $100 less than a few years ago when I bought two for my Touring.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2 hours ago, mccusername said:

I inquired about a booster with Jaymic last week. They don't have any on hand but are expecting another batch of 10 rebuilt ones soon. From what I found their price is very competitive, or better, than finding someone to rebuild one.

Did they confirm whether there is any functional difference between the early single servo and the later twins?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Linwar in Southport offers remanufactured servos, different types for 1502 and others 02s

https://www.linwar.com/bmw_e10_brake_cylinders_servos.html

According to the parts book:

34339555270 Booster 1600-2Cab and 1602

34331103339 Booster 1600-2 Ti , 2002, 1602, 1802, 2002A, 2002Tii, 2002touring

34331111958 Booster 1502

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

11 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Did they confirm whether there is any functional difference between the early single servo and the later twins?

I didn't know to ask as their website treats them as one and the same. I did specifically mention I needed a single 1600 servo and they didn't contradict me. I will double check before completing the order.

I could not get Linwar to answer an email, and Jaymic's price was better but YMMV.

Thanks for all the tips. I have a total of 3 of these T50 boosters. And, I've spent the last three days going through all of them; one leaks hydraulic fluid to the outside, but holds vacuum, another leaks hydraulic fluid into the barrel and does not hold vacuum, and another has no apparent hydraulic leak, but does not hold vacuum. I'm tired of replacing the damn things and living in hydraulic fluid. I'll send a couple in for rebuild. It's too bad there is not a source in the US which has them in stock.

19 minutes ago, Slavs said:

Thanks for all the tips. I have a total of 3 of these T50 boosters. And, I've spent the last three days going through all of them; one leaks hydraulic fluid to the outside, but holds vacuum, another leaks hydraulic fluid into the barrel and does not hold vacuum, and another has no apparent hydraulic leak, but does not hold vacuum. I'm tired of replacing the damn things and living in hydraulic fluid. I'll send a couple in for rebuild. It's too bad there is not a source in the US which has them in stock.

You could awlays ditch the servo. They were an option on the first cars and the early NK. I've not got a servo in my NK with e9 disks all round - I moved the pivot point on the pedal slightly and love the feel. After a few drives the pedal didn't even feel any firmer.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg