• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you see it?

mudchemist

1 hour ago, mudchemist said:

Aluminum...rectangular,  8 sets of springs. Lots of holes.

Couldn't help myself. Excellent question. Will snap a pic tonight. You know....

That pic is not needed for the survey folks. 

The pistons are Ross Forged 11.5:1 for a E12 head. The head is 128.5mm with 2 degrees of cam timing, 1.5mm gasket, 304 cam, straight valves, and it is going back on the car. Advanced folks will have to stew with this info and decide...is there something in the pic of the head?

That's too much extra information. I mean, why don't you tell us what gears your running?

One question - Is the head in fact bolted on backwards and the intake is run on the passenger side?  Similar to how the turbo v8's run the turbos in the valley of the V8?? :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

5 hours ago, TobyB said:

at least 2...

t

Okay we have are at diminishing returns here as the thread has runaway from the original post with the "yes" and "no" answers drying up. Thank you to all participants. It was amusing to see the thread at the top of the board.

I think it is reasonable to say that enough people saw this as obvious enough that one should expect a individual that builds race motors and race cars on the M10/E10 platforms to not....wait for it....

INSTALL THE PISTONS BACKWARDS

Toby - what else did you see? 

(Pic of head tonight - we always talk about installing the wrong piston/head combo....but never backwards)

New game - what will you see on the head? That's for the rest of you. I need to get back to work.

Mike D

#73 2002 Racer...now with 20% more quack

Still to many parts....

27 minutes ago, mac said:

The pic posted by Guest Anonymous would make a better choice for building a head for racing.

your's isn't. 

Mac. 

But Mac, you havn't seen my head. It is actually pretty nice. It made horsepower with backwards pistons! The holes are bigger.

But yes, a full hemi head would be nicer. I have tried to find Al Pina to build me one. Anyone know where I can find Mr. Pina, or a Pina Jr?

Mike D

Still to many parts....

20 minutes ago, mudchemist said:

But yes, a full hemi head would be nicer. I have tried to find Al Pina to build me one. Anyone know where I can find Mr. Pina, or a Pina Jr?

But even if you have a set of NOS KS pistons from Mr. Pina you wouldn't fit them with the old style squish nowadays.

Mine are modded.

And what is a e12 or e21 head? never bothered them...

P1110457_k.JPG.9b0576de18fb6aec0f6f8da82843c1ca.JPG

Edited by uai

I was also seeing a blown head gasket.  Warped head?

And had it been at tdc, 142mm pin height pistons

with 135mm rods...

but sometimes I see people who aren't dead.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

I was also seeing a blown head gasket.  Warped head?

And had it been at tdc, 142mm pin height pistons

with 135mm rods...

but sometimes I see people who aren't dead.

Head will need a kiss. My straightedge isnt full head length and i can see a slight bit of light underneath...wont fit feeler gauge. Head gasket looked good. Lighting last night was awful...and i am using kindle for pics. these might be better.thx toby

IMG_20190425_175139.jpg

IMG_20190425_175124.jpg

Mike D

Still to many parts....

Interesting. Do you think he machined the valve recesses in the pistons backwards and decided to just run with it, or machined the recesses to make the valves fit after thinking the pistons were supposed to be like that?

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

9 minutes ago, Solarphil said:

Interesting. Do you think he machined the valve recesses in the pistons backwards and decided to just run with it, or machined the recesses to make the valves fit after thinking the pistons were supposed to be like that?

Nah. Pic below is intake valves on the valve reliefs. Not a sophisticated scenario. Maybe he assembled it on the other side of the shop. Dunno, dont care. I dont use the guy.

I gotta go. My weber 38 developed a stumble after i changed the cap/rotor, intake manifold, wires, timing, and a colder set of plugs and i need to post for help while everyone is still awake because I think it has to be the emulsion tubes and I have alot of questions about those. Tried the search function and got too many threads that said use the search function. I am caught in a loop!

IMG_20190425_183807.jpg

Mike D

Still to many parts....