• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular 2002 opinions: Round 1

The E30 was a far better car than the 2002 or the E21.

But BMW handicapped the 'small' cars with uninspired 

engines... until the S14 came out.

Alfa engines were far better than BMW engines, until well into the 90's

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Bilstein Sports aren't that stiff...

• Haha 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

engines... until the S62 came out. The S14 is still a pile of junk(for a road car).

t

Let me correct that for you... :)

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

1 hour ago, evil02 said:

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

engines... until the S54 came out.

t

Duly noted...

heh

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, evil02 said:

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

engines... until the S54 came out.

Kinda'.  Except that was around the time that BMW decided to space out service intervals to every 15,000 miles, on a motor that revs to 8.  A lot of exhaust vanos gears have been blowing up, allowing all pistons to hit all exhaust valves.  Kinda' over the s54 and variable valve timing.  I've got one in pieces for sale right now.

• Like 3

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

1 hour ago, irdave said:

Kinda'.  Except that was around the time that BMW decided to space out service intervals to every 15,000 miles, on a motor that revs to 8.  A lot of exhaust vanos gears have been blowing up, allowing all pistons to hit all exhaust valves.  Kinda' over the s54 and variable valve timing.  I've got one in pieces for sale right now.

Don't mix cool BMW motors and reliability together in the same sentence. They don't exist..

(same rod bearing issue as the v10 too)

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

I bought my ‘76 in July 1976, primarily because I loved my prior and current ‘02’s and wanted to “catch” a new ‘02 before production ceased.

In September 1976, however, I test drove a new e21 (320i). I believe it was a better car than the ‘02 in every possible way.....

I kid you not!...?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Those extra US DOT mandated side and rear reflectors really enhance car visibility and should never be removed. Doing so would lessen the car’s originality or increase the odds of being hit under dark driving conditions . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Schon '02 said:

Those extra US DOT mandated side and rear reflectors really enhance car visibility and should never be removed. Doing so would lessen the car’s originality or increase the odds of being hit under dark driving conditions . 

This plus the HUMONGOUS front turn signals look absolutely beautiful compared with the Euro flush ones, they help extraterrestrials see you coming from everywichway all the way to their planet!  Never NEVER EVER replace them with the European type!!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

In September 1976, however, I test drove a new e21 (320i). I believe it was a better car than the ‘02 in every possible way.....

I kid you not!...?

????

• Haha 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

19 hours ago, Conserv said:

I kid you not!...?

Regards,

Steve

20k miles later, though, when the front end started shaking like a monkey in a banana market

whenever you got to 55, you started to have second thoughts.

10k miles after that, when you needed a new CIS 'computer' for $1100, those second thoughts

settled in...

10k after that, when it stopped idling, you sold it for a then- new E12 and have been happy

ever since.

Am I right?

hee

t

• Like 3
  • Haha 1