• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 1600 built for US or Europe?

7 minutes ago, HBChris said:

I have been told that euro cars had yellow center lenses as they were required even though the US required red. Long hood Porsche owners say this is how to differentiate a euro vs. US early 911.  Thoughts?  Maybe this has been discussed before, if so my apologies.

The only place I have ever seen red rear blinker lights is in the US. All other Countries I have been to have amber rear blinkers.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I have no idea how we fit 4 of us AND the backpacks for a 3 day excursion 5 miles from there. But it is a testament to the versatility of the car.

Bias ply snow tires a valuable option.

Definitely 1974 was not one of the "drought years" in California.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slavs said:

I believe the rear bumper guards or bumperettes were standard on all NK cars, and they were most likely an NK item incorporated on to the 68 02.  All US spec 1600s with the rear bumperettes or bumper guards which I examined were 1968 and up. I saw many 67 1600s at the bome yards, and most had no bumper guards at the rear. This was also with the few 66 cars I examined at the same yards. Furthermore, all 66-67 cars I examined also had the very small bumper guards at the front bumper. The small front bumper guards complemented the lack of any at the rear, otherwise the car looks odd with large bumper guards on one end and no bumper guards at the other end or with small bumper guards at the front and large bumper guards at the rear, and every 67 I've seen has small bumper guards at the front. 

040.JPG

I’m still sticking with my story, Slavs, based on what I’ve seen, owned, and viewed on window stickers...?

Below is my former ‘67 1600-2, probably long gone by now given Northeast U.S. salt and snow...?

Sahara with Chocolate Brown all-vinyl interior, and all the ‘67 goodies (including hard starts when temperatures dropped below 20 degrees)! And, yes, I “upgraded” from the car’s original hub caps and separate trim rings to later full wheel covers....

Regards,

Steve

C56F5B6D-52C7-42CB-85BF-E316B3BDB566.jpeg

130A290E-24AC-4644-8B0A-2BB8021F583E.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Love the "Defroster Side Windows" on the window sticker.....yeah, those worked.....

Funny story about those "side window defrosters"--the pre-1 Jan '69 cars had two speed heaters, and they simply weren't powerful enough to defrost both windshield and the side vent windows (to allow a clear view of the outside mirror).  So the factory plugged those side vents with chunks of foam.  

Then in Jan '69 the factory incorporated a much more powerful 3 speed heater blower motor--but forgot to tell Hans or Fritz on the assembly to quit stuffing foam in the side vents.  I wondered for years why the side defrosters on my Feb 69 assembly (40th "second series" '69 off the line) car didn't work until I had the outlets apart and discovered foam stuffed in 'em.  I got the rest of the story from Michel Poteau, the original 2002 guru...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My April '67 build 1600 is exactly as Slav describes-- small bumperettes in front, no bumperettes in the back, license plates lights in the bumper. It is, however, Sahara over UPS brown like Steve's, so I'm not taking sides.

The 11/67 build Canadian-delivered '68 1600ti I just got also has no bumperettes in back and lights in the bumper. No way to know for sure if it's original but it does have the little chrome strips, and it was sitting 20 years and had one owner for about 20 before that.

It also seems to have one amber tail light and one red one. Canadian compromise?

20190508_151151_1557347081596.jpg

• Like 2

Slavs;

It didn't have what I perceive as the '68 brake system nor steering wheel, nor chrome dash plates and with headrests.......so who knows unless I find an old DMV form in my tool box.....

Picture taken off Hwy 50 near South Lake Tahoe, California. Easter break 1974.

49 minutes ago, mccusername said:

My April '67 build 1600 is exactly as Slav describes-- small bumperettes in front, no bumperettes in the back, license plates lights in the bumper....

Interesting, and a U.S.-imported Hoffman Motors car?  Assuming so, perhaps there was a mid-‘67 cut-off....

As to the 1600ti, none of those were U.S.-imported, or imported by Hoffman Motors, so I would expect full Euro details, including amber-center taillights. Was this formerly ClassDavid’s car? Regardless of source, it’s great. Bristol, I presume.

(Many, but not all, of the old taillights were date stamped. If either of yours is so stamped, it might clarify the potential originality of that unit.)

Best regards,

Steve

28FE0804-DEEE-4822-8021-2499E8403B9E.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Yes, a Hoffman Motors car. It has some other mid-year details-- namely a 'lined' valve cover without a manufacturing date on the back side.

That is/was David's car. I wish it were Bristol-- it's Polaris. Mostly rust and dirt colored now. It's going to keep its patina for a long time. It came with Marchal headlights and Cosmic Mk 1 alloys. I'm excited to get it back on the road.

3 minutes ago, mccusername said:

Yes, a Hoffman Motors car. It has some other mid-year details-- namely a 'lined' valve cover without a manufacturing date on the back side.

That is/was David's car. I wish it were Bristol-- it's Polaris. Mostly rust and dirt colored now. It's going to keep its patina for a long time. It came with Marchal headlights and Cosmic Mk 1 alloys. I'm excited to get it back on the road.

No! Polaris on a 1600ti is even more rare, special, and beautiful than Bristol....

And Mark I’s? They’re the rare and beautiful Cosmic’s!

It will be gorgeous! ?

(Special disclaimer: the author of this post may not be an impartial observer of Polaris cars....?)

Best regards,

Steve

7C3A84EB-60E0-43AF-B1E6-4339390DAC73.jpeg

• Like 1