• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fred comes home! Pix

NYNick

After more than 3 years Fred the '74 tii finally is up and running! There's still a number of sorting issues to deal with, but he drives great, sounds awesome and handles well. I got him up to 90 on the entrance to the Saw Mill already and he had plenty more to go. (don't worry, I wasn't being THAT stupid. Just kinda stupid)

Many thanks to all my fellow FAQ'ers, Graham at Bimmers Only, Gaspare at Gaswerks and especially, Steve at Bluntech. I seriously couldn't have done it without my FAQ buddies and I REALLY appreciate the help. I'm sure I'll be asking more dumb questions down the road. And now...pix!

20190515_150707.jpg

20190515_150717.jpg

20190515_150743.jpg

20190515_163325.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Very sweet example

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

She's lookin' good, Nick.  Way to go.  +1 on the seats,  please tell us more.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, MattJ said:

I need to know more about them, they're amazing!

9 hours ago, mike said:

She's lookin' good, Nick.  Way to go.  +1 on the seats,  please tell us more.

mike

Ok, here's the story on the seats. Bear with me....

POS, black Recaros, off CL for $400. I took one with a rear door card to my upholsterer to find the proper tan vinyl to match the interior. After paging through his books, we chose one that was as close as we could get. (My car is very unique with an original tan vinyl interior instead of marine blue with a Polaris exterior. One of one!)

Next, we started looking for some houndstooth. Nothing was any good. I specifically wanted a hint of tan within the black and white pattern, so I went to the web.

I kept coming across the same material on all the cloth suppliers sites, but it was NLA wherever I looked. A buddy of mine finally suggested Stefan at GTS Classics, so I gave him a ring. He sent me a few swatches, one of which was perfect but, ahem, expensive. It was a fine German wool, imported of course and $115 A YARD! I bit the bullet and ordered 3 yards from him. I still have some left that my wife may make into some small car pillows.

He suggested doing the inserts on the headrests; good idea! I suggested the sewed horizontal seams to give them some texture; another good idea. When I got them home, I just switched the seat rails from my stock seats to these and they bolted right on.

Originally they were supposed to cost me about $2K all in. For reasons unknown to me, my guy charged me a lot less for his labor. I think I'm into them for about $1400 total.

Here's the new vinyl, new houndstooth and new esty carpet.

20181201_152801.jpg

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

4 hours ago, dirving said:

Love the wheels and center caps. I have the same and almost left them black. Ended up painting them silver.

Yeah I dig 'em too. Kinda falling in love with the way they offset the Polaris.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS