• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii motor value advice

PG7202

I've got a complete '71 tii motor still siting on the subframe pulled from a '72 standard that i scrapped about 8 years ago.  It came out of my old '72 standard car that had a swap when I bought it and I always planned to put it in to my '69 but never got around to it.  The motor ran strong and still has good compression.  It has 10:1 pistons and reground cam and I've kept Mystery oil in it but has sat this whole time.  I've got someone interested in the motor and may sell it but can't really value it.  I realize it can all vary depending on unknowns but haven't spent much time on the boards since the early FAQ/roadfly days and don't know if it's $1,000 or $3,000.  Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by PG7202

Swap into a std car per OP.  Includes injection system, manifolds, etc.??? or converted to carb??

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The motor is complete with the pump, injection system and all the other bits and pieces.  I cut the nose off the donor car and dropped the front subframe with the motor still attached.

You might mention the VIN/mtr #, just in case the original car is still around. In that unlikely event, the mtr may have more value for the original car Owner.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks for the VIN. Unfortunately I do not have a record of that car, but, you never know, someone on the board might know of it.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

2KUSD for the motor, looks like uprated suspension there too, nice turbo type fat antiroll bar and vented brakes

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

VIN 2762038 should be a June 1972 car (perhaps June 21).  The U.S.-spec tii’s initially switched from 121 heads and plastic intake runners to E12 heads and aluminum intake runners at VIN 2761944. But — for whatever reason, e.g., parts shortages — BMW (temporarily) switched back to 121 heads and plastic runners at VIN 2762015. So I expected VIN 2762038 to have a 121 head and plastic runners — it certainly does not have plastic runners. Either the reality of the switches to and from E12 heads was more complicated than suggested by the parts manuals, or this particular engine’s runners, and possibly head, were swapped out post-factory.

Regardless, none of this makes any difference in the engine’s value!

An engine overhauled by an unknown party, at an unknown date, an unknown number of miles ago, and which subsequently sat around for eight years is a bit of a pig in a poke, in my opinion. But the presence of a complete injection system — even if it, too, is a pig in a poke — partially offsets the engine’s vague current condition. So I, too, could imagine $2,000 for the complete engine with ancillaries.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)