• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head light rear cover

Fernando Macan

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they may still be available new from BMW. They were not used on U.S.-spec cars, which used sealed-beam headlamps and a U.S.-only headlamp bucket.

Failing to find new ones from BMW — they weren’t expensive when I last saw them listed — you could place a Want to Buy ad on this forum for used examples.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 9:47 PM, Conserv said:

I believe they may still be available new from BMW. They were not used on U.S.-spec cars, which used sealed-beam headlamps and a U.S.-only headlamp bucket.

Failing to find new ones from BMW — they weren’t expensive when I last saw them listed — you could place a Want to Buy ad on this forum for used examples.

Regards,

Steve

I thought these were on US spec cars when new.  They are held on with an elastic band and the band eventually breaks, so people take the covers off which is why you never see them.  I have a set of these I’m hanging on to, pulled them off my ‘73 Tii before I sold it years ago.  One thing I like about the covers is that they clean up the look of the back of the headlights when they are in place.  

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

On 8/16/2019 at 7:31 AM, Brandon said:

I thought these were on US spec cars when new.  They are held on with an elastic band and the band eventually breaks, so people take the covers off which is why you never see them.  I have a set of these I’m hanging on to, pulled them off my ‘73 Tii before I sold it years ago.  One thing I like about the covers is that they clean up the look of the back of the headlights when they are in place.  

Not U.S. equipment as far as I know.  I was an ‘02 owner from ‘73 (including a ‘67, a ‘70, a brand new ‘76, a ‘72 tii I parted in ‘74, and a ‘74 2002A I parted in ‘75) and I never saw one of these “dog bowls” until the late 1980’s and that happened, perhaps coincidentally, to be on a Euro-spec car (a Bauer targa)....

I’m happy to revise my opinion if other original owners took delivery of U.S.-spec cars with the rear dog bowls.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)