• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rattle can paint close to Chamonix

Stimfig

I think Rustoleum have a couple 

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/auto-body-touch-up/automotive-touch-up-aerosols?ls=ATU5007&lc=Ford™ Wimbledon White

Ford Wimbledon white 

Plus ‘Heirloom white’ (though I can’t find this in the US). I think this is pretty close. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-340g-ultra-cover-2x-satin-spray-paint-heirloom-white_p1580684

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Hi Steve - as an owner of a chamonix 02 I can attest there appear to be a couple of shades that I have observed.

I’m not sure if this has been just poor colour marching post repairs on cars I have seen (note I am in Oz and not as many 02’s to compare to as in U.S.), or there was a slight change by BMW in their approach to the colour during the models run.

Irrespective, any good auto parts shop with a paint counter can match whatever you bring them as a sample (even a small chip from your engine bay) for just a small premium in cost to buying an off-the-shelf white that may really stand out against the existing body colour.

4 minutes ago, zambo said:

there was a slight change by BMW in their approach to the colour during the models run.

There is definitely two different Chamonix with the same paint code. Early has a bit more yellow while later is whiter. 

• Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

There is definitely two different Chamonix with the same paint code. Early has a bit more yellow while later is whiter. 

Thanks Simeon - mine being a late ‘72 build looks to be of the more creamy “consistency”.

I have seen the more brilliant white versions in later models.

I assume there are therefore two chamonix formulae for paint refinishers to choose from, when preparing to paint ...?

rattle can will not last much longer than your prep work and spraying it,,,home depot or lowe's buy a gallon of hi-gloss epoxy, they will match it to a color you take them, it dries rock solid and is unaffected by chemicals under the hood of our old cars

put it on with a small felt roller and a small brush...buy some of the stuff to go with it that eliminates brush strokes

been there and done it...cheaper and as sturdy if not more so than exterior automotive paint

• Like 3

rattle can will not last much longer than your prep work and spraying it,,,home depot or lowe's buy a gallon of hi-gloss epoxy, they will match it to a color you take them, it dries rock solid and is unaffected by chemicals under the hood of our old cars

put it on with a small felt roller and a small brush...buy some of the stuff to go with it that eliminates brush strokes

been there and done it...cheaper and as sturdy if not more so than exterior automotive paint

Esty - can you let me know if there was any specific prep on the original finish to get the epoxy to stick that worked for you?

I was missing original hood on my 68 and had a blue one for my Granada, I just had a pint of Granada mixed up and shot the underside. Automotive paint store still had the original code for Granada so they probably still have the Charmonix. You can have made into rattle can or for your own gun. I'm not doing a concourse resto, Just a restomod

hood.jpg

• Like 1

It shouldn't be difficult to find a local automotive paint supplier  that can cross reference your paint code and then provide you with rattle can color and rattle can clear coat of professional autobody quality. I used up 2 cans of each on my project. besides the engine bay there are always the door panels behind the card, wheel wells, etc. It's not cheap, but you won't have to do it again. Be sure to wear at least an activated carbon mask.

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?