• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

gas smell in 73tii

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

When I fill up the gas tank, the passenger compartment gets this strong gas smell for the first quarter of the tank. It goes away, but the trunk still has the smell of gas. I tightened down the nuts holding the fuel pickup, the sending unit is secure, and all hoses are clamped tight. No obvious pinholes in the tank, which looks good, except for rust where the fill spout enters the tank.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Joshua

• 21 years later...

The gas fumes travel in a plastic tube to the plastic box under the parcel shelf and then off to engine bay through another plastic tube, where they are filtered and burned. Make sure that plastic line is attached to the filler neck and in good shape.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

7 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

The gas fumes travel in a plastic tube to the plastic box under the parcel shelf and then off to engine bay through another plastic tube, where they are filtered and burned. Make sure that plastic line is attached to the filler neck and in good shape.

can i just block that off inside the trunk?  the line is open in the engine compartment.  

1 hour ago, tiich said:

can i just block that off inside the trunk?  the line is open in the engine compartment.  

You;ll need to provide some sort of vent to apmosphere to replace the fuel used, euro cars have a vent for this through the trunk floor. Search gas tank venting for past posts on this.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

30 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

That line should be connected to the air filter canister. 

+1 on that.  At least on the '73 and '74 US models.  Probably only on '73 and later US tiis.  I have a different tii air box that is missing that little pipe for connecting the fuel vapor hose.  I assume it must be either an early tii air box, or a euro one. 

FuelVaporHose.jpg

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

25 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

That line should be connected to the air filter canister. 

i know.  maybe i'll just do that.  but it seems like a lot of brittle hoses and bits that can crack when i could just put a short hose through the floor instead.  i'll also check the sender seal....

the gas smell is in the trunk not the engine compartment.

Edited by tiich

Check the gasket around the fuel sender and also the clamps on the rubber boot between the gas tank and where you fill er up.  The rubber boot can become brittle and leak.  Leaking around fuel sender is common and easily fixed with the proper new rubber gasket .

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Another point of seeping gas is around the seam where the 2 halfs are joined although I would think you'd have the smell for more like the half tank level.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944